1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stone placed in memory of Va. Tech killer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good question.
    Probably not. I feel very, very badly for them.
    Not a scintilla of sympathy for Cho. He did an incredible amount of damage.
    But for the family? Yeah.
    Father of one of the victims was very eloquent talking about the Cho family.

2. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I was surpised at the 33rd stone. More surprised someone did it without telling anyone and then fessed up to it.

I thought the AP story earlier this week didn't explain the presence of the 33rd stone very well. I was under the impression from the story I read that the college did it, since he was a student.

3. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

The stone was gone, but another one(?) is there now, I guess.

Now you don't:
    http://www.roanoke.com/vtcampus/wb/wb/xp-114512

Now you see it:
    http://www.roanoke.com/vtcampus/wb/wb/xp-114683

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Sure, he killed a building full of innocent workers and a daycare full of children, but I really think there should be some kind of memorial for Timothy McVeigh in Oklahoma City.

And, come to think of it, those guys who hijacked all those planes on 9-11 were really taken advantage of by their handlers. We should really include them in any 9-11 memorials/tributes.

--Katelynn Johnson

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What the mustard seed said.

Enough is enough.

6. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I only wish everyone could be as compassionate and courageous as Katelynn seems to think she is.

Seriously, I think forgiveness is a noble gesture, but it's a long process, and I'm not sure about the appropriateness of memorializing the greatest mass shooter in U.S. history only a week or so after the fact.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

When somebody uses bleeding heart as a negative term, this is the kind of idiot they are talking about.

Your other post is correct. This is grandstanding. If she had allowed it to remain anonymous, that would be one thing. But this pathetic child is just starved for attention and trying to use this incident to show the big bad world just how tough and edgy and forgiving she is.

Stupid little shit (her, not you Bubbler).

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

There's a time and a place for EVERYTHING.

And the time and place for showing compassion for a kid that just slaughtered 32 innocent students is NOT the time and place you're honoring those innocent students.

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

So, should she have waited and done something a few months from now, when it would be the only rememberance happening?

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Found this part of the article interesting:
    "During the weekend, Cho's name was included in many church services and memorials on campus."
    Is this different than what she did?

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

No. Now's fine, but I'd suggest something in a different place. Where folks mourning the loss of their loved ones/friends don't have to have a memorial to that person's killer in their line of sight.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm in the boat with Idaho and Moddy.
    VT lost 33 people that day. I don't know Cho should be remembered along side his victims, but I'm certianly not going to jump anyone's case who thinks he should be remembered as a victim of a mental illness, if that's in fact what it was.

I will say this: That chicks gotta sack larger than most men.

Draft saved Draft deleted