1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stone placed in memory of Va. Tech killer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yikes.

It's not popular, but moreso young Katelynn, it is wrong.

---------
    Katelynn Johnson, a senior sociology-psychology major, identified herself in a letter to the Collegiate Times as the person who added the stone for Cho.

"My family did not raise me to do what is popular," she wrote in her letter to the campus newspaper. "They raised me to do what is morally right. We did not lose only 32 students and faculty members that day; we lost 33 lives."

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If nothing else, she is accurate.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I was angry about that when I read it in the AP story last week, and it was couched in similar language, that he was one of the victims.

He is not.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You could make the case -- I guess -- that he was a victim of mental illness.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It was people like her that annoyed the hell out of me in my college days...hell, they still do.

Just another attention-starved bleeding heart.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The murderer didn't lose his life, he took his own. That is a signficant difference. He choose his fate and the fate of 32 others.
    Over time we can learn not to hate the murderer and eventually put aside our pain and anger and try to understand why he was a mass murderer. But to memorialize him with his victims isn't just unpopular, it is moraly indefensible and an absolute wrong.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hopefully, someone takes a sledgehammer to that stone very soon....

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's not a bleeding heart. I'm a bleeding heart and I think her actions are bloody stupid.

Where's a jackhammer when you need one?

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Fixed.

11. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

You can mourn the life he lost when he ceased being a functional member of society and decided to become a crazed killer. I'm not sure this was the proper way to do it, though.

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Wow.

Writing the letter was wrong. Or at least unnecessary and self-congratulatory. But placing the stone? No. Sorry, that's actually the Christian thing to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted