1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stocks and buying them

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jul 2, 2008.

1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I would not buy GM stock unless I used money that I would equally be willing to play with at a roulette table.

With the pressure building to allow more US offshore drilling, I'd be looking to buy companies that provide the oil field services - - the rigs and the platforms and the people - - to do that kind of thing. I think there are going to be a LOT of wells drilled in the Gulf of Mexico and off the east coast of the US in the next 10 years.

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

The Wachovia soap opera. The monthly unemployment report. The House re-vote.

What I want stock in today is the bar the CNBC production folks head to when they're done.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Um, yeah. About that...

The things Joe Kennedy did in the Wild West, unregulated stock market of the 1920s would be called "insider trading" today.. that is, if they weren't called "market manipulation."

Pump-and-dump stock pools and blatant insider trading were two of Kennedy's more noble endeavors in the market.

And yes, technically, those shenanigans were legal at that time, which is why FDR's decision to make Kennedy the first chairman of the fledgling SEC was the proverbial fox guarding the henhouse.

In this context, the shoeshine boy story always cracks me up.

Draft saved Draft deleted