1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stirring up a hornets' nest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 19, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have but one story on this, and it's not nearly as interesting as any of yours.

Actually, never mind. It's not about hornets, or even a nest of them. Just one wayward wasp.

Pay no attention.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Somehow I've lived on this planet for almost 31 years and never been stung by a bee, wasp or hornet. No idea how it's happened. Even so, I hate a fucking wasp. Bees, I've learned to live with. They don't bother you too much. Wasps ... fuck em. Just ... fuck em.
    As a kid, we lived on a street off the main drag and a couple blocks from a lake. Every summer, the wasps would nest at our house and find a way in. Finally, I went out on the roof at sunset with a can of raid and a pound of courage. Felt like Rambo as I doused those sonsabitches with Raid. Must've knocked out 10 nests between the front and back roofs of a duplex.

Years later, I'm at my apartment complex shooting basketball. I put up a shot that hits the backboard, and a bee flies near me. I shoo it away, put up another shot off the rim and three more bees fly around. Couple more shots, a few more bees. Finally, I realize they're swarming on the basketball goal. I got out of there pretty quickly.

Yet another time, I drove to work in an old car that had been sitting for a few months. I go out at lunch time, roll down the window and crank it up. A wasp flies at me, then two more right after. Much to my horror, I realize they've built a nest in the outside rearview mirror. I crawled across the passenger's seat and ran halfway across the parking lot before I stopped.
    Went back into the building, got some Raid and took those bastards down to Chinatown.
    The next weekend, I saw a couple flying out from the taillight of the same car. Sprayed it, and a hundred mud daubers must've come pouring out. There was definitely some satisfaction there. Good thing I'm not Buddhist.

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Got stung 14 times by yellowjackets while cutting grass when I was in my early 20s. Three hours after being stung, I had to get in a friend's car and ride 6 hours for a wedding we were groomsmen in that weekend.

Absolutely brutal trip.

Draft saved Draft deleted