1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stinky situation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

These people disagree:

http://www.healthyfeetstore.com/health-socks-and-hosiery.html

Most think that 100% cotton socks are great for feet; but they're actually more harmful than good because this material absorbs moisture and does not wick it away - in fact, it holds it in and causes a perfect environment for bacterial and fungi growth that can cause athlete's foot and bad foot odor. The moisture can also cause blisters, calluses, and hot spots when combined with heat and friction. Socks made out of synthetic fibers or cotton blends are ideal because these materials are durable, lightweight, and hug feet better; some even have anatomical designs to ensure an optimal fit so that there's less chances of bunching within the shoe that can cause blisters or chafing. Healthy socks made out of synthetic blends have features that absorb moisture, then wick it away from the foot to reduce moisture build-up.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Boooo!

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Evidence be damned. My feet sweat less and are less stinky when I wear 100% cotton socks and not nylon ones.

4. Johnny Dangerously

No one's arguing with you about that. But have you tried the wicking type described? They would sweat even less and stink even less.

Bad: Nylon.
    Better: Cotton.
    Best: Moisture-wicking blends.

5. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

No. 2, No. 13 and No. 20.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No. 36 is the obvious one.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Check, check and check.

Ha!

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the feet stepped in whatever didn't make it into the ringbox? That could certainly explain a significant degree of stinkiness.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

You're not the first person to give me that suggestion. I've never felt "comfortable" wearing 100 percent cotton socks. Also, I find them irritating because I wear dress shoes quite often. But we'll see how this works out. Thanks for the advice.
    Oh and for the rest of you who have headaches, want to romp in the hay, or whatever other juvenile comment you want to make on this anonymous board, I wish you nothing but the best.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Ick if it doesn't wick. That's all you need to know about the socks.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"World's best socks?" Maybe.

http://www.thorlo.com

Draft saved Draft deleted