1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stillers Fans at DEFCON 1- Big Ben Accused Again (Update- No Charges Filed)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re: Stillers Fans at DEFCON 1- Big Ben Accused Again

He hasn't been arrested yet because he hasn't been charged. The cops are still investigating. I'm srue they want to do a good job: either fidn out of this is made up story or makwe sure they dot the "i's" and cross the "t's" so they don't end up with another Kobe case.

Investigating is the key word... Not charged. Not arrested. This might be a bogus claim, so news orgs are witholding the hounds... for now.
    Check out the P-G.

Either way Big Ben don't look to bright.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Re: Stillers Fans at DEFCON 1- Big Ben Accused Again

Brian, right now, I would guess the best thing to do would be to report the facts or direct quotes, and right now there are very few facts coming out.

You can peruse facebook and twitter posts, but are those facts?

This thing sure looks like it will be a he said/she said.

3. 93Devil

Evil is right.

Ben looks like a bigger rube than Bradshaw. Sad thing, though, is all the dummies do is win Super Bowls.

4. BrianMcDowell

BrianMcDowell Member

I didn't mean to say or imply that Rothelsberger was guilty or should be in jail. I understand that rich athletes are often targets for unscrupulous people that want money or attention. We certainly don't know if that's true in this case, so I understand that the police and, to a certain degree, the media should proceed with caution.
    I still think if Rothelsberger weren't rich or famous or white, he would have been in jail by now.
    Anyway, according to the Worldwide Leader.....

1. Rothelsberger has hired the same attorney that got Ray Lewis off when he was charged with murder in 2000.

2. There is a police press conference on the case scheduled for 4:00.

I guess we'll find out more then.
    It will be interesting to see if they elect to show the press conference live, the same way they showed the police press conference that followed Tiger's fender bender.

Brian McDowell

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Do you want to know why Roethlisberger hasn't been charged -- because he is very rich and famous and he has hired a very good attorney.

If this were some poor guy with no means to really defend himself - and better yet, without trying to be stereotypical but given the area this crime took place, a poor black guy -- the charges would have been filed about 35 seconds after this woman told her story.

There are two forms of justice in this country - justice for those who have money and the ability to hire the absolute best defense and justice for those who don't.

This is not a statement of his innocence or guilt, it is a statement about the fact that authorities are realistically trying to assess what they can prove and what they cannot prove given the fact that the defendant in this case can financially go the distance in terms of defending himself

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I know it got criticized last time, but ESPN.com had it up on the front pretty promptly, actually. Most reputable sites didn't just repost the TMZ report, as they shouldn't. It took a few hours for people to report it, which is how it should be. We're too used to the immediacy of the internet.

Not to make light of the charges, but someone needs to neuter Big Ben. While most Steeler fans are just shaking their heads at him, I wouldn't want to be around the Rooneys.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

For the life of me I can't help but think of American Pie when I read that.

There was this one time, at Mets camp ...

8. 93Devil

Yep.

Watch The First 48 sometime and you will be amazed at how little they have to lock some of these poor druggies away for murder.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Ben sure is paying a lot of money to get laid these days. What's that lawyer's hourly rate?

10. Re: Stillers Fans at DEFCON 1- Big Ben Accused Again

This is an open-and-shut case. Clearly, the Devil made him do it.

11. Re: Stillers Fans at DEFCON 1- Big Ben Accused Again

His money would be better spent on hookers.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who's wouldn't

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.