1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Still think Texas has never executed anyone who was innocent?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, May 15, 2012.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What is bloodlust?

Is it wanting degenerate criminal assholes with no regards for human life punished severely?

Cause if it is, yep, I'm guilty as charged.

I've stopped watching the news because I get more and more pissed at some of the crimes these fuckheads commit, to the point where the only news story that I can smile about is one that ends with something about the criminal in question getting his head blown off in a shootout with police.

2. zagoshe

I'll say it again - if wanting degenerate criminal assholes dealt with severely and quickly is "bloodlust fantasies" well, then, yep, I'm guilty as charged.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Glad we agree.

4. zagoshe

Again, if you don't feel the same way then let them all live in your backyard and be around your kids and loved ones.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think it is true that some number of people will wrongly be executed. This is just obvious.

But, I think doctorquant had it right earlier. Being for something, even with its faults, doesn't mean you are "for" the faults.

For instance, we know more people will die when the speed limit is raised from 55 MPH (and there is an alternative to raising it to 65). So, how many deaths do the folks who want to drive 65 MPH find "acceptable" in order for them to get to their destination 10 minutes earlier?

A zero tolerance for drinking and driving, would similarly save lives. If you like to have a glass of wine over the course of a two hour dinner, does it mean you find it acceptable that someone will doe as a result of a drunk driver? Should alcohol be banned, if it will save one life?

And, btw, I'm not a supporter of the death penalty. I used to be. And, I still think some people, by nature of the crimes they have committed, have essentially forfeited there right to live among us, and that death might be a fitting penalty in some cases.

My problem is more with giving the Government the right to take a life. I don't think it makes us a better place to live.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The reason is that I don't want a government killing in my name, for any reason.

Your ad hominem attacks and mouth-foaming angryman shtick aren't going to change my opinion. I don't care what you think murderers deserve.

7. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Why don't we just kill everyone in prison.

Or better yet, the minute they are convicted, put a bullet in their head.

::)

The only way to be 100 percent certain of any conviction is to get it on tape.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Not that this is a new discovery, but you really suck at logic.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl/2004_3763184/perry-signs-pardon-for-sutton-man-convicted-on-fau.html

Josiah Sutton experienced true freedom Friday, more than a year after his release from prison, when Gov. Rick Perry pardoned the Houston man who was convicted of rape on faulty DNA evidence.

Sutton was 17 when he was convicted of a 1998 rape and sentenced to 25 years in prison largely on the now-discredited testimony of an analyst from the Houston Police Department crime lab. His case received new scrutiny last year after HPD suspended DNA testing when an audit exposed widespread problems in the lab, including an undertrained staff, outdated scientific protocols and conditions ripe for evidence contamination.

Just one of many cases, just one of many problems.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You cannot be "for the death penalty, as long as we're 100% sure that the person's guilty." You're either for it or against it. It's not a conditional.

11. zagoshe

So you are OK with a guy who is convicted of a violent crime putting a shank in a guard, who is just doing his job and trying to help protect you from said violent criminal, and not being punished for it?

Is this what you are saying?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I agree with that. Did my post read differently?

Draft saved Draft deleted