1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Still think Texas has never executed anyone who was innocent?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, May 15, 2012.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think this is a Monty Python reference to a scene where people were burning people they thought were witches for silly reasons.

She turned me into a newt. I got better.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No. Just no.

People just don't want to get this.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Accepting something and being "OK" with it aren't the same thing. I accept the fact that a very small number of people are harmed every year via vaccinations. That doesn't mean I am OK with it.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But there is no viable alternative to vaccinations that would provide all the benefits without any of the drawbacks.

There is a clear alternative to executions that provides every tangible benefit.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sez you ... there's legitimate research that says it's not so clear.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well, tell you what - we will allow all of the people you think are innocent to go free and live in your neighborhood. Deal?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why do you think the alternative to the death penalty is to set convicts free?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think the option is life in prison, not to let them go free.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well, wasn't it you that said something to the effect of "better than ten escape than one innocent man die...."

If that's the case, let them all live in YOUR neighborhood.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not to the people who have to guard these dangerous people. Nor, necessarily, to the taxpayers who have to financially support them.

And ask the victims' families if it provides a tangible benefit. Some may say so. Some may not. How often do we hear of victims' families saying they can rest easier knowing the killer is dead?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

William Blackstone said it.

Keep diggin'.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not all capital killers are mass murderers. Most are one-time impulse killers who killed in the commission of another crime. Ever see Brubaker?

It's also goddamned harder to escape from prison than you think. News flash: Shawshank was just a movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted