1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Still think Texas has never executed anyone who was innocent?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, May 15, 2012.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Then read this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/15/carlos-texas-innocent-man-death

If you support the death penalty, then you have to be OK with the idea that someone died for a crime he didn't commit. And you now have proof that it happened.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Liebman was my Criminal Law professor. A good, honest seeming guy. Good for him. Ironically considering the facts here, he was a good teacher, but the 2nd best Liebman in the school. This is important work.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He's not the only one. Here's a case where Rick Perry pulled a "Saturday Night Massacre" to cover up a similar botched death-penalty prosecution:

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-09-07/politics/texas.execution.probe_1_willingham-investigation-willingham-case-texas-forensic-science-commission?_s=PM:pOLITICS

4. That's fascinating. And pretty compelling.

I'm not OK with the fact DeLuna was executed for a crime he didn't commit. It's a sad fucking shame.
    But I am still OK with the death penalty. Sorry.

DeLuna got screwed plain and simple. And those who fucked him need to be identified and punished for the shoddy work that led to his execution.

I am still a ardent supporter. There should be safeguards, multiple eyewitnesses or DNA evidence. Absolutely.
    In the end: There are a lot of people in this world who are incorrigibly evil and forfeit the right to life.

-30-

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Blackstone disagrees.

"better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer"

As does the Bible.

(Genesis 18:23-32)

Abraham drew near, and said, "Will you consume the righteous with the wicked? What if there are fifty righteous within the city? Will you consume and not spare the place for the fifty righteous who are in it? ... What if ten are found there?"

The Lord said, "I will not destroy it for the ten's sake."

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Maybe charging some of the public officials with negligent homicide in the DeLuna/Hernandez Case will make people a little more thorough on investigating these cases.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And yet, God destroyed the city anyways.

I'm assuming there were some pregnant women in those cities as well, meaning God committed abortions.

Not to mention children. God didn't seem to mind killing kids.

For someone who put, "Thou Shalt Not Kill" as one of the commandments, God sure as heck didn't seem to mind breaking it himself/herself.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Why does someone who supports the death penalty have to be OK with that ...

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Because you have to accept that the death penalty is not 100% foolproof. You have to accept that you cannot guarantee that someone who is innocent will not be executed.

If you're OK with that, then fine.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Isn't that like if a woman doesn't float, she wasn't a witch?

Well, OK then. ::)

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What?

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, what?

Draft saved Draft deleted