1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

STILL not ready to drink the Obama Kool-Aid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Re: I'm not ready to drink the Obama Kool-Aid

Well, as others have said, it's an arbitrary number. You have people born in '81 who feel like Gen-Xers, you have people born in '78 who feel like Gen-Yers.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Executive Branch is far from powerless. In terms of appointments alone -- Supreme Court, various departments, etc. -- it affects our present AND the future.

I would agree, however, that people need to focus a little more on party platforms, which shape the legislative agenda the Executive Branch will attempt to drive through Congress.

That's why it drives me nuts that there are "independents" out there who will be choosing between McCain and Obama based on the way they perceive one of the candidates' personalities.

The parties have very stark differences in terms of taxation, foreign policy, judicial system, etc. Let's not vote another guy into office just because you think you might like to have a drink with him or her because they always bring their friends (Cheney, Rove, etc. in Bush's case) as well as some hangers on (the religious right, etc. in Bush's case) to whom they owe favors.

3. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

There's a small part (ok, 85 percent of me) that thinks Bush is going to some gadget play out of his smug ass between Sept. 1 and Oct. 31 in order to maintain power. I don't see this election being this big wave of Dem redemption that the majority would like to see. If this bastard can do what he has without fear of reprisal over the last eight years, I can't see why the hell he won't complete the full transition of the police state this nation is slowly becoming.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wow, you're a fucking idiot if you actually believe that.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If there's a major terrorist attack in this country this fall, McCain wins.

There's enough room for manipulation, right there, without going full-bore, if you're looking to go the Manchurian Candidate/paranoic school of thought.

6. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

I'll keep this quote in mind if it happens.....

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The Foof-in-Chief is done, but I agree with Ben that a terrorist disaster can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat for the Republicans. Which is why I won't be surprised should something happen.

And it's not like the government/current administration has to actively make such an event occur. They merely have to allow said event to occur; allow the proper conditions, etc.

8. Armchair_QB

Please do. And don't let your tinfoil hat tear. They're a bitch to fix.

I'm guess you're one of the doucherockets who was sure Bush set up some kind of terrorist attack before every single fucking election since 9-11 too. Still waiting for that to happen fuckwit.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I don't think it will happen either, but there is less in place to prevent it from happening than ever before. We get the government we deserve in this country, and I doubt that many Americans would take to the streets.

10. Armchair_QB

There's enough anger, and firearms, in this country right now that it'll never happen.

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

mccain hasn't had 6 months of the '100 years' comment thrown at him yet in a head to head debate with the dems.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't think Bush would be THAT stupid to try to hold onto power by just declaring the election null and void. Letting a terror attack, perhaps, especially in the memory of all those orange alerts.

Draft saved Draft deleted