1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

STILL not ready to drink the Obama Kool-Aid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: I'm not ready to drink the Obama Kool-Aid

Yes, just words. Dirty filthy words. Words are our enemy.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I went to his campaign website and read his stuff on the economy and fiscal policy. Not much concrete stuff there, in fact, it's basically the same old democratic left of center policy positions. He's not nearly as innovative as Bill Clinton. For all his talk of change, he's just a change from Bush. Is he in favor of increasing the social security payroll tax on salaries over 102K? without employer matching contributions? What's his position on funding a new electric grid for the United States? Is he in favor of nuclear power use, like France? Is he in favor of the US Government subsiding the UAW health care retirement benefits so GM and Ford and compete against Honda and Toyota? Will he cut ag supports for the sugar industry and let them compete on a global basis?

What I would like to see is Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi come forward, after Hillary bows out, and say that a Democratic Controlled House and Senate will provide President Obama every opportunity to pass any proposal. Obama doesn't need to just win, he need to have a filibuster proof Senate, too.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

How's that? Every poll I see says Obama would trump McCain in the general election.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Hey, Inky: I am not going to defend us boomers as a group, but I was reading just the other day that Obama, who was born in 1961, making him 5 years younger than me, is, in fact, a late-phase boomer.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

True. But his attitude and experience is a lot more Gen X than it is Baby Boomer.

Effectively, Obama is the first post-Baby Boomer candidate we've ever had. And dare I say: it's about damn time!

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In 2 years Obama will be getting his AARP card.

7. Inky_Wretch

Isn't Generation X considered to be people born between 1961-81? I think that was how Coupland defined it in his novel of the same name.

Regardless, he's younger than 50 which I like.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're an ageist!

9. Inky_Wretch

Yes, yes I am.

Those damned Baby Boomers have had enough time to fuck things up. Now it's our turn.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

The Baby Boom is generally considered to run from 46-62.

And I have faith the post Baby Boom generation, especially in Washington, can fuck things up just as well as their predecessors did.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ain't nobody in Gen X born in 1981. No way. Cutoff for that's somewhere around 1975.

We're Gen Y Gen Next milennials the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsi_Generation">Pepsi Generation</a>, or some such shit. :D

Hard act to follow. Just sayin'.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The cutoff's after '75, cause I'm pretty firmly in the Gen X category. My sister (1978) is a tweener and my brother (1981) is Gen Y.

Draft saved Draft deleted