1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

STILL not ready to drink the Obama Kool-Aid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sure he's kicking Hillary's ass ... but I AM NOT GETTING IT.

Yeah, he's new. Yeah, he's not Republican. Yeah, he's a change of direction. Yeah, he has 670 teeth and shows them all while smiling on the campaign trail. And yeah, he will probably win in a landslide in November.

I'm reminded of a song lyric: "Look in my eyes ... what do you see ..."

I saw it before when I was a kid and saw the counter-reaction 4 years later when I was an older kid.

Somebody convince me we're not re-electing Jimmy Carter here.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Re: I'm not ready to drink the Obama Kool-Aid

Has Obama ever been attacked by a rabbit while fishing?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Y'all have five days to persuade me.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The rubber will meet the road after the primaries. Is he closer to Jimmy Carter or Abe Lincoln? We'll see real soon.

McCain will force him to articulate his ideas on how to deal with Islamic terrorists.

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Beats me, but I'm the guy who thinks Jimmy Carter got a bad rap.

It bothered me that I've never known less about a major candidate in a presidential election than I know about Obama, so I went to my local library (it didn't bother me enough to spend actual money) and took out his 1995 book, "Dreams from my Father," about his upbringing. Obama wrote it back when he was just starting in politics, I think we can be reasonably certain the words are his and not some speech writer's.
    I have to say, I was really impressed. For one thing, I've never read anything by an aspiring president that included the word "motherfucker" before. For another, I came to believe that his background and his upbringing really give him a unique, valuable perspective. Over and over again, I was impressed by his insight into his situation and the situations of people he was writing about, in his youth and in his early days as a community organizer. He did not come off as an impractical, pie-in-the-sky sort of person. He didn't come off as real stuck on himself, either.
    None of which means he'll be able to accomplish anything if he's elected president. But I voted for him in my state's primary, and I will again in November, presuming he's the nominee.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

McCain ain't forcing anything.

The Democratic primary season is the 1992-1997 NFC Championship games, the de facto Super Bowl.

McCain's age and his hawk sensibilities, combined with being from Mr. 19 Percent's party, will be a nasty cocktail to imbibe.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Clinton's utter disorganization has soured me off her as a vote more than any other single factor, even Obama himself.

8. Re: I'm not ready to drink the Obama Kool-Aid

Boom -
    Is McCain going to articulate his ideas on how to deal with Islamic terrorists because the ones he seems to have attached himself to really suck.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, McCain is beating Obama in head-to-head at the moment.

It's a long way 'til November, but I don't see where folks are getting 'landslide.'

Is it the Democratic turnout? Does history tell us that's a big factor? I don't know - I'm asking.

What about the Bradley Effect?

I think we should all prepare for a McCain Presidency every bit as much as an Obama Presidency.

10. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Amen!

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

We'll see. I think it will be the issue that will decide the election. You have 2 canidates that people would consider crossing party lines to vote for.

We need to learn more about both candidates.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is a bit early to predict the outcome, but I think you realize that McCain's head-to-head edge on Obama right now is an illusion. McCain has the nomination locked up. Obama does not. Get Clinton out of the race and those numbers will change.

Draft saved Draft deleted