1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Still no love for Raymond

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I think that happens with a lot of professions (can add books too). Atticus Finch for us law types.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

He was a better and more convincing DJ than any real DJ I've ever met.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Ray Barone was no George Owens (Me. Belvedere)

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

She doesn't look as hot now though. I guess Father Time is catching up to her.

5. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I really wish "Men of a Certain Age" had gotten renewed. Very much enjoyed it. I didn't think Romano was the strongest performer in the cast, but he definitely handled the drama. His performance on "Everybody Loves Raymond" was about par with a lot of comedians playing "themselves" on sitcoms, so I don't judge his acting abilities by it.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I thought the various acting levels played themselves out quite accurately in "Men of a Certain Age," which I also wish would have been allowed to play out further.

Andre Braugher was, as always, a cut above. Romano was fine. Bakula was what he is -- an attractive older man playing to that demo.

The softball game with the girlfriend driving her car onto the field was one of the better scenes in recent memory. I howled.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Here's the story I love about Romano, and how so much of show business is all about being in the right place at the right time.

David Letterman's production company wanted to do a comedy.

Jeff Ross (The Roast Master) does Letterman and kills. As a result of that appearance, he is offered production deals by Castle Rock, which had Seinfeld at the time, and Letterman's Worldwide Pants.

Ross goes with Castle Rock, with the thinking being that he's better off going with a production company that has the top show in the country (or one of at the time) than a company that had never done a sitcom-type show before.

The next comedian to do Letterman is Romano. He kills and is offered a deal that was significantly less than what Ross passed on.

Everybody Loves Raymond goes on to run nine seasons. Who knows if Jeff Ross even got to make a pilot?

Don't get me wrong, I can't imagine Ross ever being successful on a sitcom, for one year, much less nine, but it's still a funny story.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Big deal.

Unless the shows are set in the workplace, we don't see much. The Banana Stand was integral to Arrested Development and Mad Men is all about the business. It works.

I don't recall seeing Capt. Tony Nelson in space, either, or even Al Bundy in the shoe store, but who needed it for a storyline?

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There were a lot of scenes with Al Bundy in the shoe store.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And they were all awesome.

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yes, please.

Draft saved Draft deleted