1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Still no love for Raymond

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jun 26, 2012.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sportswriters still get their panties in a bunch over the "Raymond wasn't a REAL sportswriter" thing? I thought they got over that years ago. Guess not.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/4937/baseball-writers-still-dont-love-raymond

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They never really showed Oscar Madison working as a sports writer either.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This thread needs a laugh track.

4. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

And Dick York wasn't a real advertising exec, Howard Hesseman wasn't a real high school teacher, David Duchovny wasn't a real FBI agent......

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny, the only reason we know that most portrayals of journalists on TV and in movies are bogus, is because journalists feel it is important enough to let everyone know about it.
    And yet, if you ask many journalists why they got into the business, they'll say "All the Presidents Men," maybe "Lou Grant" or some romcom starring Katherine Heigl or Kate Hudson.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Perry White inspired me to get into the business.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's not true. I remember a couple of episodes of Oscar working in the press box at a baseball game and the racetrack.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know of no sportswriters who are married to archconservative harpies either, so there is that.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Everybody Loves Raymond only showed life for Ray Barone when he was on furlough.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Even Ray's own dad didn't read his stuff, which was evident in the episode where Ray told his dad who was injured, with the dad using that info when making bets.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I recall there were a few office scenes and definitely press box scenerio.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He had a satellite TV package added so he could cover games from home.

Sounds exactly like a certain NYC columnist.

Draft saved Draft deleted