1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Still a sports fan?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sporting_guista, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I'm still a fan of the sports I've always been a fan of: Braves baseball and Alabama football. I was never the fan to scream at games or even at home. I'm a natural observer, or what was labeled earlier on here, "a cerebral sports fan."

I enjoy covering high school sports. The kids are nice, and I like to see them do well. Shit, they're just kids. Do I feel better when they win or worse when they lose? Nope.

I also enoy covering games. Other than baseball and football, most sports are new to me. I didn't play them, so I never paid attention. I've learned a hell of a lot about basketball since November.

The only part I hate is the office. The politics, the fighting, the slot shifts. That's the crap work.

However, I'm in the middle of nowhere. No pro pressence, even minor leauge for at least two hours in any direction. Not even a mid-major college within two hours. So I don't know if I've changed as a casual fan. I haven't been to anything in years.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Echoing a few thoughts already expressed here:

I still can get worked up for my true teams (NFL Packers, U of Michigan football, Braves baseball), but I was always a little bit like Leo has become -- more cerebral, thinking about things as a reporter would, not as a fan would. Like MM, I feel naked if I'm not taking notes when I'm at a game.

However, unlike most of what I've read here so far, I still truly enjoy watching games even if I'm not covering them. I go to about the same number of MLB and NHL games on my off-days during the summer and winter, respectively, as I always have. Still get a kick out of going to big-time events, like the Rose Bowl this year, or NHL playoff games last spring.

Sports still interests me. I'm still a fan -- only I'm more a fan of great stories, instead. The memorable games and great performances are the ones that stand out to me now. I like to see things I've never seen before. That stuff still gets me going.

But I don't live and die with sports like I used to ... well, for the most part. All bets are off if the Pack gets back to the Super Bowl. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted