1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stick that in your magic underwear

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Do you feel that way about Scientology?

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So questions about religious beliefs are off-limits this time around, huh? Good to know.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

JEREMIAH WRIGHT! GOD DAMN AMERIKKKA!!!!!!

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, if Romney doesn't get the nomination, Santorum or whoever gets it might want to get some of those votes...

There are a lot of religions that do things that I think are strange, including my own. It seems ignorant to judge any of them as long as they're not hurting anyone.

5. Mizzougrad96

This wasn't a question about religions beliefs. It was someone mocking his religion.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Which brings me back to the Scientology question.

7. Mizzougrad96

John Travolta for president!!!

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Would never happen, if the closet gay rumor is true.

9. Mizzougrad96

That's a fair point. But Scientology has a very small following. I think I saw something that said it had 55,000 followers, some of them just happen to be very vocal and some of the most famous people in the world...

I think there are as many mormons in this country as there are jewish people.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I agree 100 percent.

I also think there is a big difference between judging someone, and simply having a full understand of that person's beliefs.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

There have been clear implications, from Romney, Huntsman and others, that any questions about the Mormon faith are undeserving of a response.

That might well be true. But it's a distinctly hypocritical argument after the constant drumbeat questioning the incumbent's faith.

(All of this is to say nothing of that whole "no religious test" thing in the Constitution. But that's in one of those bits that the ardent defenders like to pretend aren't there.)

12. Mizzougrad96

Absolutely... But it's also a bit ignorant for people to think they can understand a person's core beliefs just because they belong to a certain religion.

All Mormons are not polygamists. Catholics sometimes use birth control.

If someone were to sit down with Mitt and ask him questions about what his beliefs are as a Mormon are, I have no problem with that.

A considerable portion of my family are Mormons. I would be surprised if any of them have ever worn the underwear. Are they strange? Well, they don't curse, drink or smoke, but they seem to reproduce at an alarming rate and beginning at an early age.

Draft saved Draft deleted