1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stick-in-the-mud college professor takes on LeBron's pregame ritual

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 27, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And this is the rub for some.

If I owned an NBA franchise, I would want my product well known by my customers before I hired the person or paid for the product. Love would be more known with a season or two more of college.

Since my watching the NBA pays for Love's salary, I think I have a very, very, very small say in how he makes his living.

On the flip side, has Tyler Hansbrough hurt himself by staying in school?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yeah, playing for UCLA, no one heard about Kevin Love. It's amazing that he was drafted at all.

3. 93Devil

I was referring to the Dawkins who played at Duke.

But if Stern, who does have the direct interest in the paying customer at heart (as all businesses should), is lobbying for the college status for players, shouldn't that tell us something?

4. 93Devil

We heard of Love and Rose, but of the 15,000 people in the stands at an NBA game, I think many people would have no idea who these guys are and could not pick them out of a lineup.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That's a ridiculous argument. Love and Rose played for two programs that played most of their games on national TV. People knew exactly who they were.

6. 93Devil

Eh, true.

I just do not like sending the message to millions of kids that as long as you play basketball or a sport you can ignore school.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Give me a break.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

To assume Brandon Jennings would be getting better coaching if he was at U of A is absurd. Jennings is in Italy with $1.5 million in the bank, his brother's education at an exclusive prep school being paid and his family is learning there is a lot more to life than living in the US.

The whole argument is about your entertainment, not about the kids who are playing or watching. You want to fall in love with dream, the dream that college basketball was pure in the '80's. It wasn't and it isn't now.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A good number of players who play basketball for four years at NCAA Division I schools ignore school anyway.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. 93Devil

True, but giving false hope to 99.99 kids that dribble a basketball is something I don't agree with.

TSP, roll your eyes all you want, but I can find about 500 kids in five minutes who think they have a chance to play pro ball but could not even play on the DIII level.

Like I said, I could find a newspaper that is doing great and turning a profit and say the print journalism is strong. Is that right?

Draft saved Draft deleted