1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stick a Fork in This Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 14, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Re: Mo Dowd Sticks a Pin in the Obama Balloon

I'm glad you pointed this out, da el g, because the first thing in my mind was, WTF?

2. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Hey Boom, sure that is cool - clearly she has talent. I mean for better or worse she writes for the Times so that obviously means something.

My thing is I don't like her style in that the same SITC lense/paradigm that gets overlayed on everything. Now maybe that is a niche/audience that needs to be covered. The NYT has to make that call.

I just think it cheapens her talents by not zeroing in on the more substantive issues/news. You point on Hill is noted thanks for that.

Oh well, free country and all

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The weather and the elements have always been a issue in presidential politics.

Here is good example:

Cheney stood out in a sea of black-coated world leaders because he was wearing an olive drab parka with a fur-trimmed hood. It is embroidered with his name. It reminded one of the way in which children's clothes are inscribed with their names before they are sent away to camp. And indeed, the vice president looked like an awkward boy amid the well-dressed adults.

Like other attendees, the vice president was wearing a hat. But it was not a fedora or a Stetson or a fur hat or any kind of hat that one might wear to a memorial service as the representative of one's country. Instead, it was a knit ski cap, embroidered with the words "Staff 2001." It was the kind of hat a conventioneer might find in a goodie bag.

It is also worth mentioning that Cheney was wearing hiking boots -- thick, brown, lace-up ones. Did he think he was going to have to hike the 44 miles from Krakow -- where he had made remarks earlier in the day -- to Auschwitz?

4. John D. Villarreal

Now THAT is great writing & backstory with MAJOR purpose and impact.

That gives you real inside stuff with punch & direct realtionship to the news.

Great find!

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Oh, this'll be good at about 10 p.m.

6. Boom_70

[​IMG]

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I won't question her ability as a writer either, but I sure will question her quality of output. She's basically Tom Seaver or Jay Leno, great in her day, but lost her fastball fifteen years ago, and still makes a pretty good living off of what she once was. She's been vapid & empty since Clinton's first term (even I'll admit she was brilliant if grossly unfair in the Thomas confirmation hearings). Ace & FB, you didn't seemed to eat this stale cotton candy up back when it was all Rummy all the time? Why the sudden shift (kind of like Amaeche - getting it right a decade too late)?

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Thanks, but it's not great writing. It's narration -- a spoken remembrance -- from a documentary.

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

What Bob Dylan song is that from?

10. John D. Villarreal

Bruh, you HAVE to be kidding?

WTF!!??

Please tell me this was some bad joke.

And here I was going to give you props on the preview I saw of your new show. Likely will still write something up - but, right now I need a shower.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think the press is starting to lash back at Obama since he's one who is willing to say that the national press corps suck on occasion.
    See Fox News and Obama's grade-school education as one example.
    Dowd and her idiot friends are the reason we are stuck in Iraq right now.
    Rather than focus on substance, you know, the news, they write novels. Dowd made another fabulous attempt at mind-reading by determing what Obama was thinking, rather than just asking the question.
    And don't forget, what we can't say someone looks good in a bathing suit? I mean come on, it isn't like we are fighting a two-front war with a couple of looming crisises in the background and the next president is going to have a huge mess to clean up ...
    I'm done with my Bob Somerby impersonation.

12. Boom_70

Obama is asking for questions of substance yet he poses for the cover of Vogue

Draft saved Draft deleted