1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stick a Fork in This Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Re: Mo Dowd Sticks a Pin in the Obama Balloon

Average Joe: "Wow, I'm freezing my nuts off, and this guy looks pretty comfortable."

Average Joe after reading the newspaper the next day: "Well, no wonder."

It's not life and death, but it's not insignificant either. I think, Alley, you are taking one question about one detail and suggesting the reporter wants to make that "the story." Maybe Maureen is, in a way, but not the reporter who asked the question. It was just one question.

I think she's pointing out he might not be prepared for the all-encompassing scrutiny.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Pringle, I don't need you to tell me about Feature Writing 101. I was in the journalism business for 15 years, so I'm well aware of what that is. And the example you used was a BOOK, not a newspaper story.

And I'm not the one making the leap to fluff piece. I'm simply saying I agree with Obama's reaction to the question in the first place.

3. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Very well said - agree 100%

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Who says he was "focusing" on it?

And so now we're all supposed to fall lockstep into the AP lede?

I mean, by the time the Times hit front porches the next morning, Obama's speech had been dissected and re-dissected over and over on every 24-hour news channel. So a writer was trying to peel back the layers and get to the story behind the story? I'm seriously surprised that someone has an issue with that on a journalism message board?

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Listen, no one gets more annoyed than me at the way politics are covered - the horse race over the issues.

But there is nothing wrong with a reporter trying to reconstruct a scene down to its details. Nothing.

6. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Boom nice story/thread I was going to post this but got tied up. Props.

Mo Dowd is lame & the story is more drek but it is funny to see the feud erupt. Not sure if she is carrying water for Hill or if this is the ax she has to grind now that they had their blowup over the "ears" comment/confrontation.

Of course, it could be she needs another target for her wannabe Sex in the City...err "political" columns.

I honestly have no clue how she can put together 1/2 of her columns in good conscience. As AA says, yeah they may read well (think romance novel..Jackie Collins anyone?), but she says nothing of any import/gravitas.

JDV

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thanks JDV . I happen to like her work.

Last week she popped Hillary's balloon in a column. so I don't think that was her reason.

Here is what she wrote in her column last week - "Mamma Hugs Iowa"

"Hillary didn't have the nerve to oppose a popular president on a national security issue after 9/11, and she feared being cast as an antiwar hippie when she ran. Now she feels she can't simply say she made a bad decision. And that makes her seem conniving -- not a good mix with nurturing"

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Narration: Many people in the West wondered whether the 74-year-old Ronald Reagan was up to taking on the 54-year-old Mikhail Gorbachev.

Interview: Donald Regan, White House chief of staff

"The president's aide came in and said, 'Mr President, you know, do you wanna put your coat on?' And he said, 'Oh, I'm not sure.' And somebody said, 'Well, it's very cold outside. You should really wear a coat.' It was announced that the Soviet cavalcade was at the gates. And Reagan turned and, without putting on his overcoat, walked to the door. And there was much speculation as to whether this 'tired old man', president of the United States, could keep up with this 'wily, energetic, young, vigorous communist.' And to the amazement of the world, the old man goes down the steps -- lickety split -- meets and greets the Soviet leader who comes out all bundled up in an overcoat, hat, muffler, looking as though he were in Iceland rather than Geneva."

Those who remember that might agree it's a story that supports my argument and Alley's at the same time.

9. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Even a black man with white blood in him doesn't get a pass.

he probably hate the bitches blood that's in his veins.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Now on that example, Mr. Dangerously, I definitely agree with you.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And for the record, I'm not calling into question Dowd's ability as a writer. I just took a bit of umbrage with that one particular question, not the spirit of the article.

12. da el g

da el g Member

wow, just wow scoop

this will not end well

Draft saved Draft deleted