1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

STFU Whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by godspell, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Could've sworn Fowler's smirk was just a little bigger, his smile a little wider today, as he filled out that suit on GameDay.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Not everyone is Michael Jordan ;)

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's Ball State. What did you expect?

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Hey, leave Ball State alone. I have it on good authority it is clearly one of the 25 best teams in the nation.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I actually read his Avery column. What did he say in backtracking from it? I'm curious.

6. Garner

Garner Member

He said he'd received an overwhelming amount of hate mail, and decided he understood Bettman's decision to suspend Avery. He claimed that he didn't really understand Canadian culture, and basically flip-flopped on the entire column.

It didn't make much sense since a) Avery plays for an American team, b) Whitlock writes for an overwhelmingly American audience, and c) the decision to suspend Avery was made by an American (Bettman) at the NHL offices in New York City, which is in America.

I failed to see how Canadian hockey fans' reaction would make him change his mind, because apparently, judging from the column, "sloppy seconds" is regular term around the Whitlock dinner table.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

And that's a surprise to you, why??

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Didn't the column appear on Fox's website, though? Not his paper. Not that it matters much.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm thinking that if he knew anything at all about Sean Avery, he'd be aware of the rumours pertaining to the alleged incident with Georges Laracque. And then, no way, no how, would he be defending Avery in print or on the air.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Working.

Dumb mistakes cost Ball State the game and Buffalo took advantage. No other way around it. Good on Buffalo, Ball State deserved to lose.

I will say this. I didn't agree with Whitlock's column either, but it's kind of fanboy message board-ish to take Ball State's loss and turn it into an in-your-face to Whitlock.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Two wrongs don't make a right. I have few problems with Fowler, but his thumbs-down re the Top 25 was premature.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For those of us ignorant on 99 percent of things that pertain to hockey, what are the rumors?

Draft saved Draft deleted