1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stewie Griffin spoofs Bryan Adams

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bostonbred, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'll go ahead and throw this out there, too: American Dad...not a bad show. I'd say it's as consistently funny as Family Guy at this point, though its highs don't go quite as high. It's several steps ahead of the Simpsons in its present incarnation, and miles ahead of the vortex of suck that is King of the Hill.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The Simpsons has failed to bring the fastball for a number of years. I used to be into the show a while back, but its all FG now.

Peter: I was a worse neighbor than Abe Lincoln
    Flashback:
    Abe: hey, you're grass is getting a little high.
    Neighbor: Yeah, I used to have a guy for that, Thanks....Dick.

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Agree that American Dad is a quality, underrated show with some pretty unique plots.

I do like King of the Hill though, but the only characters that I find bearable are Hank and Bobby.

When you look at Simpsons and Family Guy, the supporting characters are part of what makes them so great.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Who Shot Mr. Burns
    Monorail
    The Block Sale episode (with the Ayotollah teeshirts)
    Lord of the Flies

all classics... they had some great ones back in the day.

So did Family Guy though... the Star Wars episode was great.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

With the Simpsons, it's really all Homer at this point. And that's not bad, because he is one effin' funny character, but with Family Guy, you got other characters besides Peter who can carry the show--Brian and Stewie for sure, Lois, and even a supporting character like Quagmire.

Still, the best part of Family Guy are the shots they take at real life people in a non sequitur format--as someone mentioned earlier, leaving you going where the hell did that come from?

And The Back To The Future episode made me laugh harder than I had in a long time.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Family Guy was very good in the first three seasons. It did not have a terribly original premise, but the writing was tight and the jokes hit more often than not and the flashbacks and non sequitors didn't overwhelm the plot.

Then it got cancelled. Then it came back. Then it turned into explosive diarrhea. Now it's Bill Simmons Presents Animation!

American Dad is MUCH better than Family Guy. If I want disjointed jokes and ham-handed meta, I'll watch Robot Chicken, which is a) funnier and b) doesn't have to keep up the pretense of a plot.

7. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

"Hey, Rick! It's your cousin Marvin ... Marvin Astley! ... D'ya know that generic, mediocre sound you've been looking for? Well listen to THIS!"

8. NDub

NDub Guest

NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP!

/Rick Roll'd

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Death: Man, it's been a busy day. Dick Cheney, the chairman of Halliburton,
    shot Supreme Court Justice Scalia in a hunting accident, and the bullet went right through him and killed Karl Rove and Tucker Carlson.

Brian: Oh, my God, Peter, you can't marry Lois.

Peter: I don't know who any of those people are.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'll continue to watch the last halves of House reruns before I glance at American Dad, ever again.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

The Simpsons have focused many of the recent seasons episodes around Lisa, who just gets more irritating every year.

Draft saved Draft deleted