1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stewie Griffin spoofs Bryan Adams

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bostonbred, Feb 16, 2009.

1. dieditor

dieditor Member

I remember hearing Simpsons writers talking about a famous gag they did in a similar vein, where Sideshow Bob steps on a bunch of rakes. The basic idea was making a gag that started out being funny, then went on long enough that it stopped being funny, then kept going SO long that it became funny again.

Trouble is, that's all McFarlane does anymore. That and 80s reference after 80s reference.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wait...he's Bill Simmons?

3. dieditor

dieditor Member

Factor in the constant New England references....yep, we have a winner.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Holy crap, that "Bird Is The Word" spoof was great. Didn't care much for the Adams video, though.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I thought the video parody was freakin' phenomenal. The Bale bit was a little long, but I wonder if something got censored at the last minute -- because that seemed awfully recent to be on this show.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

Yeah, Hack, I thought that too. It was, what, two weeks ago?

And can someone explain the video parody? It was just that, right? Just a bunch of old videos with Stewie acting as the singer/musician/random actor?

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

FIXED!!!!

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Nice work BYH, you beat me too it.

9. Khartoum

Khartoum Active Member

[​IMG]

That's from the "Cape Feare" episode, and, when I saw it the first time, it was (and still is, frankly) one of the funniest things I've ever seen. That's because, at the time, it was original. And like you said, it wasn't done in every single goddamned episode like in Family Guy. The chicken, the Bird is the Word, the skinned knee... always the same thing.

Seth MacFarlane is funny. Family Guy is not. Go watch American Dad, at least. It's no Futurama, but at least it has, you know, a plot.

Family Guy might make you laugh the first time, but there's no depth to the humor. It's all slapstick and shock humor. I can watch "Last Exit To Springfield" or "Roswell That Ends Well" a thousand times and laugh out loud every time. That's because it's actually funny, not oh-my-god-did-he-just-say-that amusing.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Has anyone seen that commercial that goes "what's the word? Thunderbird!" ?

I think it is an Old English commercial, but I'm not sure.

I call upon SJ to answer this, goddammit.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

They didn't have to do animation to do for that scene. It was straight audio.
    By the way, here's that scene for those who missed it:

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But they had to draw a reel-to-reel.

Draft saved Draft deleted