1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stevie Wonder question ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Feb 2, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Stevie Wonder's a musical genius, motherfucker!!!

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Every now and then, you regress from dickhead to douchebag.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh stop.

It's a lot more than every now and then and you know it.

Edit: Plus, everyone else is riffing on my joke and it's been, like, days since I did. So forgive me for my lapse, oh wizened one!

4. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

sp, you aren't the only one who can't recall parts of the '70's...live and learn, but not again, not that way...

The only reason I think I remember Led Zep is because they took the stage 90 minutes late and the things I had 'timed' had worn off, if you know what I mean...Page threw up on stage, and I remember that..

Would have loved to see Stevie.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't remember the 70s, either. Any century's.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You Are The Sunshine of My Life was our wedding song. Dude's been around a while. Songs in the Key of Life has to rank among the best albums anywhere by anybody. Ordinary Pain? Summer Soft? Knocks Me Off My Feet? Top drawer.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Here's some video of Stevie in the 1970s giving singing lessons on Sesame Street

if that doesn't work, go here:

8. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

He up and decided to tour last October and he came to Montreal for the first time in something like 25 years. I think the tickets went on sale just two weeks before the show.

I remember the last one: the Hotter than July tour, with like a 20-piece ensemble, Wonderlove. In the round. That kicked ass.

This one was pared down, and the band wasn't real tight given it was put together in a hurry. Stevie said he'd been sitting at home, mourning the death of his mother, and just up and decided to get back to doing what he does best.

He came out to open the show, sat at the piano and his daughter, a beautiful, tall woman (Aisha, from the song) came out and they started singing "Love's in need of love" together, so simply.

Chokes me up just to remember it. He sang everything. God, it was restaurant quality, and priced far below what all the "reunion" gigs are charging these days.

He said he'd come back and play for free and donate all the proceeds to the local institute for the blind, if local organizers could set it up. He still rules.

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

He kept getting lost.

10. I agree, but I have a fondness for the two albums he released prior to those classics (Where I'm Coming from in 1971 and Music of My Mind in early 1972). Neither album had a particular direction or a hot chart single, but the seeds were definitely planted for the blossoming of his legend.

11. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

[​IMG]

Jammin' on the one.

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Big Stevie fan, too ... so I'll briefly defend some of his stuff from the 1980s. "Overjoyed," I think, was one of the better (and most underrated) songs of his career and "Ribbon in the Sky" and "That Girl" were solid tunes even by his standards. He did a lot of experimenting with emerging technologies (especially early on) in the 80s, so much of his stuff from that period doesn't stand he test of time as well as most of his catalog. And then there's "I Just Called to Say I Love You," which is to Stevie what "Last Kiss" is to Pearl Jam.

Draft saved Draft deleted