1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stevens Juror Skipped Out Of Deliberations To Go To The Track

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Nov 3, 2008.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

This lady is a nutjob. After you read this, tell me they should give her some sort of punishment -- anything....just bust her for this. Disgraceful.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27519859/

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

To be fair, she did have one hell of a trifecta box.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Hopefully, she didn't bet Curlin.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm sure Teddy's lawyers will have fun with this on appeal.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hopefully . . . she did!

6. If the appeals judges stop laughing long enough.
    God, what a break for Intertubes Man.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There's no way in hell this should be enough to overturn.

But you never know.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dammit. This is gonna ruin the "my dad died" excuse for the rest of us who want to go to the track!

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As long as Ted loses the election, the judges can hold a parade for him as far as I care.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Never mind Ted. He's probably laughing his ass with the judges and his opponent.

This should teach every person who gets a jury duty assignment a lesson: you can't fucking cop an excuse to skip out on your civic duty. It's not that bad once you do it. Yeah, it'll be boring 80% of the time, but if you land that juror seat in a big case, you can tell all of your friends about it when it's over.

Ask the O.J. jury in '94 about that.

Haul your ass to the courthouse and do not pass go, do not collect $200.

11. But, what about the fact that judges and lawyers can get things re-scheduled all the time for all kinds of dubious reasons, but John/Joan Q. Public is at the mercy of the Court?

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Jurors get out of serving for all sorts of dubious reasons, including non-refundable airline tickets to attend sporting events.

Likewise, I had to miss my mother's 65th birthday dinner because a federal judge didn't think that it was a good reason to end court early for the day despite my advanced notice and consent from all other lawyers.

Draft saved Draft deleted