1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steven Spielberg 15 years ago... It was a very good year

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

And here I thought it's because Goldblum utterly sucks.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's been a steady decline since.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

No Jurassic Park discussion is complete without this You're The Man Now Dawg.

NSFW, only because of language.

http://jurassicparkwtf.ytmnd.com/

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Or what, you'll beat me up?

Spielberg deserves credit for much of his career. Directing a CGI-heavy movie about dinosaurs isn't one of them.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I remember when Jurassic park came out in 1993. I'm thinking some people on this board were not teenagers yet in 1993. That is not a slight, but I am making a point.

In 1993, when the panoramic shot of the park with all the different dinosaurs came on the screen, it was a "wow" moment. It does have its place in movie history, just like the The Last Starfighter has its place.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Precisely.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Coppola would have been my first thought. Simon spared me some googling on the Fleming thing, which rang a distant bell of some sort. Thanks.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Jurassic Park was groundbreaking for its time.

Spielberg has shown throughout his history that he knows how to make the movies that the public will go see. And his diversity of subjects is pretty broad too.

As for Goldblum, damn he made a nice call.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I can't believe he was the only one who took advantage of the opportunity. People, this is a Spielberg movie we're talking about.

Goldblum is the anti-Donald Sutherland, who had an opportunity to accept a portion of the residuals for appearing in Animal House. Sutherland insisted on a flat fee, a decision that cost him millions.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

"Michael, they want to pay me a $1,000,000 just to wear their shoes."

"Tell them no Charles."

"What?"

"Make them give you stock in their company. Then they will pay you for the rest of your life."

Mike was good at more than just basketball.

11. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I find that hard to believe. Spielberg had made a couple of flops in a row (Always, Hook)...but he had a damn good track record by 1993. (Indiana Jones, E.T., Jaws, Close Encounters, along with producing Back to the Future, Roger Rabbit, Goonies and Gremlins) I imagine that would get you a no-limit spending account.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It's a great story, but it doesn't pass the sniff test for me. According Entertainment Weekly, Universal spent $65 million on the marketing campaign alone for JP. Seems highly unlikely that the project was some grip's salary away from shutting down.

Now, maybe Goldblum did negotiate his contract so that he got points instead of a salary and made a mint off it. If he did, good for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted