1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steven Sotloff Beheaded by ISIS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the Iraqis were motivated by the disintegration of their country.

But again: If in 2009 Obama could have so easily reached a favorable SOFA, why didn't Bush do it in 2008?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You are talking out of your ass, and you don't even know it.

President Obama didn't want a SOFA. He told us as much in his debate with Mitt Romney.

The lack of one was what allowed him to pull out everybody.

Now, what did he say was the hold up? Do you know Justin?

He said he wanted the Iraqi Parliament to sign of on the SOFA.

Did the Iraqi Parliament sign of on the current SOFA? The answer is no.

So, if he wanted to keep some troops in Iraq, he could have operated under a SOFA identical to the one we have currently.

3. Justin_Rice

You have a Limbaugh-esque understanding of the matter.

The status of forces agreement signed in 2008 set December, 2011, as the final withdraw date of all American troops. The Iraqi government wanted American troops subject to Iraqi courts. The President said no.

This isnt even debatable. It's exactly what happened. All the stories and reporting on the Status of Forces agreement still exist on the Internet.

How you think you can just ignore reality and substitute whatever timeline you prefer mystifies me.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Keep eating the kibble you've been fed.

5. Justin_Rice

This is the text from the joint press conference with Bush and Maliki announcing the signed SOFA:

http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2008/12/20081214-2.html

... Unless you don't consider the Bush whitehouse archives a reputable source ...

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's the Republican way.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of 41 posts on this thread, 28 are variations of pissing and moaning about Obama., so I take it this is today's Official Piss and Moan About Obama Thread?

8. YankeeFan

I'm now unclear what you are arguing.

Are you trying to say that President Obama attempted to work out a SOFA and couldn't, forcing him to withdraw all troops?

Or, are you saying that, per the 2008 deal, President Obama did not attempt to reach a SOFA, and simply withdrew all troops as scheduled?

You have to pick one argument or the other.

9. Justin_Rice

He tried again. The Iraqi government wouldn't modify the previous agreement. End of story.

Do you always get what you want when you try to negotiate with another party?

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I think he's saying that he will support the president no matter how many Americans get beheaded.

11. Justin_Rice

I think I'm saying no president who has ever served or who ever will serve will be able to prevent all deaths of Americans living and working in dangerous parts of the world.

I also didn't blame President Bush when Americans were beheaded by Muslim crazies, either.

12. YankeeFan

OK. Good. You've chosen an argument.

So, how did we get a SOFA agreement now? Did Iraq's Parliament sign off on it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.