1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steven Curtis Chapman's son hits, kills 5-year-old sister with SUV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by deskslave, May 21, 2008.

1. Mine was more succinct. I refuse to count that as a D_B on those grounds.

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

And it was only 18 seconds

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Whoops, my bad. I saw the Nashville dateline, and I figured that he was a country singer. See, I told you I wasn't familiar with his music.

In all seriousness, though, as a father, I feel really bad for him.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Now, Chapman, his son and the rest their family will have to lean on their faith like never before.

I hope they don't lose it. This is the sort of thing that really could make that happen.

As far as my point of view, this is yet another reason to hate SUVs. There is almost no earthly reason for the average person or family to have one. Especially now.

They're colossal wastes of money and gas, a huge hit on the environment, and dangerous in one of the most heart-breaking, inadvertent ways possible, to boot.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's one of the dumbest things I've read in a while.

6. Why? SUVs do have considerably bigger blind spots than cars and trucks.

7. My heart and prayers go out to the Chapman family. I had the opportunity to meet Steven before, as well as see a concert, and he is a wonderful man of God. I've never been a huge fan of his music, but he has had a valuable impact on Christians and non-Christians alike.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't know where one would find such statistics, but I'd be willing to lay down decent cash the difference being statistically insignificant.

Also, how is WriteThinking qualified to tell me how to spend my money?

9. This report says I'm partially incorrect. The diagram shows trucks worse than SUVs, but cars and minivans are better.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/car-safety/car-safety-reviews/mind-that-blind-spot-1005/overview/

Here's another comparison.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/car-safety/car-safety-reviews/mind-that-blind-spot-1005/best-and-worst/0304bli0_best-and-worst-rear-blind-zones.htm

I don't think anything makes WT qualified to tell you how to spend your money, but he's right that smaller vehicles are better for the environment, use less gas and are more dangerous (at least to others). But hey, you can spend your money however you want.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A 1,500-pound Corolla will kill you just as dead as a 6,000-pound Tahoe if you get run over by one.

11. True, but can you honestly argue that you're just as likely to not see someone if you're in the Corolla as the Tahoe? Have you driven a Corolla?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Actually my first college car was a Corolla. And I also own a Tahoe (but it's parked for now because of gas prices.) So I am familiar with both vehicles.

But I didn't intend to turn this thread into an SUV-jack.

Draft saved Draft deleted