1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Wynn's take on the world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 19, 2011.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Vegas's best dasy were when the Teamster and Cosa Nostra thugs ran things. The corporate thugs have no clue how to take care of people.

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Actually, those of us who work at union newspapers have a real defined benefit pension plan. In fact, I have two of them. One from my old newspaper and one from the newspaper I'm at. That's in addition to my 401(k). Just another benefit of the union, which most people here are eager to get rid of.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Stocks are up, companies are more profitable than they have ever been before and it's Obama's fault?

4. highlander

highlander Member

And all those jobs have come back under Obama's watch. Right. Good call.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I do not believe I said that. I am simply pointing out the proven emptiness of the trickle-down promises.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Complete BS. Many people don't have health care and it is a problem, but the majority do have health care.
    also not to mention the majority of people in the country have health insurance. many do not and it is a problem. but if the "average Joe" represents the minority he is someone who has health insurance.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And what percentage of their paycheck do they have to pay for this coverage, cj?

10? 15? 25?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Interesting to me that it's a tenet of American conservatism that government doesn't know what to do with our money, but that Steve Wynn - or Enron - does.

Maybe if we just cut out the middleman and give the billionaires all our money directly, they'll create some jobs.

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

You are all missing the point. Wynn is not talking about himself or Wynn Resorts. He is talking about the business climate in this country. Here is the audio because I don't think anyone has posted it yet: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/07/18/wynn_slams_obama_on_business_responsible_for_this_fear_in_america.html

By the way, his wife was a HUGE Obama booster...much to his chagrin.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, the idea is that free markets create optimum efficiency. And in a world with no transaction costs and strong property rights, that would be the case. I don't even think your Paul Krugmans would argue that point. Government is there to oversee things and prevent externalities/spill-overs, i.e. private entities reaping gains while pushing costs on others. Like Enron or, more classically, polluters.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't care who the president is and I was never a fan of the Bush economy. It's obvious from Wynn's comments that he views the current administration as anti-business. If and and other CEOs leave their money on the sidelines, how does that help anyone?

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Shhhhh...don't confuse them with the actual facts in this case Carlton ... such as what Wynn actually said.

Draft saved Draft deleted