1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Williams Fired?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gandhithegreat, Jun 21, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Definitely said "we."

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not in the clip I heard, which I believe was his immediate post-round interview on NBC. In fact, I just listened to it again. Definitely said "I."

That said, Tiger could have completely thrown the caddy under the bus with a bunch of "we" comments elsewhere. I just know in the clip I heard, it was "I."

And the clip I heard may not have been the immediate post-round interview. Pretty sure it was, though.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Immediately post-round on TV he absolutely said "we."

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

OK. Just watched the video clip of what I've been hearing. He did say we, but he slipped it in there and I must not have caught it.

"I made some....(then he re-starts the sentence)....I was telling Stevie that we made some mental ...."

I bet the audio clip I heard was just edited. But yeah, he did say "we." My bad.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Lame that Tiger is blaming the caddie and not accepting responsibility for his playing; its the same damn thing we're teaching our 8 yr old.

Then again, Mr. Williams is being paid handsomely for being his caddie and that presumably means accepting/deflecting blame.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Beyond lame. Ridiculous.

Steve Williams didn't swing a single golf club at Pebble. He didn't duck hook shots OB; he didn't miss putt after putt.

You know what golfer could place blame on a caddy? An occasional, once in a while golfer who hadn't seen the course he/she was playing, who was relying on a resident caddy for guidance.

Woods has played this course many, many times, including in an Open setup before. Could Williams guidance be an assist? Probably. But, Eldrick shoulders the blame himself when he fails.

Kind of like Peyton Manning blaming the offensive coordinator for an interception on an overthrown pass. Or a pitcher blaiming the pitching coach or manager after hanging a curve ball.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

For the amount of money Stevie is paid, Tiger could blame anything on me.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I heard Tiger said "we" and I agree with Michael on his post above.

It continues to show, for me that is, Tiger blames everyone else, including Mother Nature, for not winning, rather than say "I fucked up. I had a bad game."

Jim Rome had a great line about caddies and golfers.

1. If a golfer makes a good shot or makes a putt, caddy says "Great job."
    2. If a golfer makes a bad shot or putt, caddy says "It's my fault."
    3. If a golfer goes Jean Van de Velde, goofs up his score card, or falls apart, caddy says "You got screwed."

9. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

If Steve Williams went looking for a new man to carry the bag for, it wouldn't be for the 150th ranked player in the world. He would grab a young star - i.e. Rickie Fowler, Michael Sim - and ride him for a few years, like he did with the current dick he works for.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

As someone wrote earlier, Tiger's done this before. Few years ago at the Masters and that was much more blatant, so I don't know why this one would mean he's being fired. It was because of that short par-4 at Augusta, early in the round. He went with the driver, I believe, went into the woods and got like a double-bogey. Totally threw Williams under the bus after that round.

11. mb

mb Active Member

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/7191473/steve-williams-aims-racial-epithet-tiger-woods

Stevie Williams, the gift that keeps on giving:

/yep, a d_B. kill me now.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

How is what he said racist?
    Tiger is a) black, and b) an asshole.
    If he was talking about Phil Mickelson and called him a "fat asshole," would anyone care?

Draft saved Draft deleted