1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Williams Fired?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gandhithegreat, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Stevie just wants to keep getting Tiger's leftovers.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

lack of pussy?

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And if there was anything to this, and I'll reserve judgment until someone from a golf site I've heard of reports it -- Steve Williams would be out of work for approximately 15 minutes.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Please explain.

For someone who doesn't know enough about golf, would Steve bring an expertise to another golfer's game that would result in him being snatched up as someone else's caddie that quickly?

What does he bring? (Serious question, not trying to be a dick.)

Also, even if he does get another job, Tiger's got to be the best gig on the tour -- especially for a guy who lives in New Zealand.

He doesn't play a ton of tournaments, but he wins enough of the ones he enters that even as a caddie, you make more than a lot of the golfers on the tour.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Speaking of someone who was a bit more pleasant than Williams...has anyone seen the documentary on Bruce Edwards on the Golf Channel? Caddy for Life. Based on Feinstein's book. Really good, tough to watch the end. Him walking off the green at that last U.S. Open - both the first day and the last day - was completely heartbreaking.

I didn't know the story of his first wife, who burned their house down when he tried to divorce her.

6. I can answer this one for ya. Steve brings more victories than any other caddie on Tour at this point. The job is not carrying a bag and saying nothing. The job is seven days a week and you don't want any days off. You're walking golf courses before play, you're calculating yardages, determining wind directions, having a clear strategy for every position on the golf course and understanding the situation better than anyone else. Steve could work for the 150th player in the world and the probability is that player would climb siginificantly in the world rankings...probably Top 10. If someone thinks anybody can do it, just stop by your local club one day and pick up the sack for some over-privileged doctor. A novice is going to look like a fool pretty quick. I'm not saying you couldn't pick it up over time. But if someone thinks anybody could caddie for Tiger...that's just not the case.

When Tiger came out, no one could hit it as far, hit as high or as solid as he could. Now, that kinda action is a dime a dozen. Steve's experience could take the right kind of player to a spot they probably would have taken longer to get to.

That doesn't mean Tiger gets worse by any stretch.

I figure if Steve is done with Tiger...he's done period. He would have job offers immediately, but none of them would be worth the time. Steve's probably made around $10 million since picking up the bag. By his own admission it isn't about money anymore...it's about winning and records.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

To say Williams could take the 150Th ranked player in the world and make him jump into the top ten is ludicrous. And, no I don't think anyone can just do it, but if your scenario were true, there would be bidding wars for his services.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

True, but it is 1A and 1B...

9. mb

mb Active Member

Look, kid. Tiger would hit a 6-iron here, OK. So here you go.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

Lack of pussy make you brave....

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This is true. Steve's a damn good caddie. He's not a miracle worker. He's not going to take Thongchai Jaidee -- to pick a journeyman out of the blue -- and make him Tiger or Phil.

And Yankee Fan, the golfing community knows who the star caddies are and it applies both ways. Yes, Jim "Bones" Mackay is a famous caddie and not just good, but great at what he does for Phil Mickelson. Same with Stevie and Tiger, Fluff Cowan and Jim Furyk, Terry McNamara and Annika Sorenstam and the late Bruce Edwards with Tom Watson, just to name a few.

These folks not only have the pedigree and ability, but the chops and work ethic to make their players more comfortable -- and therefore better. Mickelson is on record as saying that Bones has a record of every shot he's hit in every tournament. You want to tell me that doesn't add to Phil's comfort level when he's standing over a shot?

As for Stevie, he's the top-paid "sportsman" in New Zealand. I'll leave that for the rest of you to mull over.

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

"If someone thinks anybody can do it, just stop by your local club one day and pick up the sack for some over-privileged doctor."

I think that I might take umbrage.

Draft saved Draft deleted