1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Spurrier retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bronco77, Oct 12, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So you say it isn't about a coach who can't coach anymore, then you say his team is going to finish 4-8. Doesn't the latter contradict the former?

2. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

You've obviously never covered major college football if you think these guys work a couple hours a day. It's not a cakewalk. It's seven days a week, close to 20 hours a day for guys like Urban Meyer and Nick Saban, and there's no chance Spurrier, after decades of doing it, was going to go out doing anything less. At 70, if he's no longer up for it, why half-ass it on his way out?

The Sloan comparison may not have been spot on, but it was similar in that, at his age, he simply wasn't up for it anymore, so he walked away. He was done. Good for him. People were cool with it. Don't give me "Deron Williams was sabotaging him." Sloan had as much power in that organization as anyone outside of ownership and they dumped Williams for even challenging him.

Sloan was done, so he quit mid-season. But shame on Spurrier for doing the same? That's ridiculous.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Spurrier for years bragged about daily trips to the course. He wasn't the workaholic that Saban, Meyer and Belichick are.

4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Good coaches have bad seasons all the time. Saban went 6-6 in his first season at Bama. I just think Spurrier is at a place in his career where he feels he doesn't have to put up with a losing season. And he's right. He has nothing left to prove to anyone. But I still think it is a gutless decision.

But hey, they beat Vandy. So maybe the Cocks will be better off after all.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

The "he made a commitment" line rings a little hollow in CFB. When push comes to shove, any coach made a commitment to 3/4ths of his roster. He then leaves them. It's the way this works.

I kind of liked the assistant angle. Basically, if he stays, they're all out on their backsides. Halfway through, they get a (bad) chance to hang around.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It would be a little more hollow if players were allowed to show the same level of commitment that coaches are allowed.

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

They probably should be.

Draft saved Draft deleted