1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Spurrier retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bronco77, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Those kids chose to make a commitment for whatever length of scholarship time they agreed to. The least the coach can do is fulfill his commitment to them, just like he asked them to do for him.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's just silly and unrealistic. Should he finish out the season? Probably. It would have been easy enough to do with minimal effort, as somebody else already pointed out. He's leaving to salvage a bit of his reputation, to keep a few losses off his record. That sucks.

That said, this should surprise nobody. I know the father of a kid who Spurrier had been recruiting. The father was a bit star struck. I told him repeatedly that he should be careful about trusting any college football coach, especially a name guy like Spurrier. Now they are quite upset that all the promises made mean nothing. Thankfully, the kid is a year away and hasn't even committed, much less signed a letter of intent. He still may end up at South Carolina, but at least he may have a better idea what he is getting into when he does make a final choice.

Of course, the next guy could bail, too.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sounds like your acquaintance and his son are getting a valuable lesson in the realities of big-time college football.

As re: Spurrier, my guff, such that it is, isn't with him "abandoning" his players. Rather, as you note, it's his unwillingness to suffer the beat-downs he's got coming. He's had quite a lot of fun at other folks'/teams' expense over the years, but now that at least a portion of the bill's coming due -- they've got, by my reckoning, at least two to three serious ass-whippings on the horizon -- he's leaving it on the table for someone else to pick up. I don't know that I'd call that cowardly, but it sure as hell ain't cricket.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Has Jeff Pearlman weighed in on this yet? He usually goes completely off the rails any time a college football coach leaves his program. His Brian Kelly rants were epic.

Tweener likes this.
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I was waiting for Starman to bring up the possibility South Carolina was going to sue Spurrier for breach of contract.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He's dealing with bigger issues:

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

First off, everyone tells these kids and families that you sign up to play for a school and not a coach. We are told that time and again when asswipes like Brian "manslaughter" Kelly and Godd Graham bail on teams to go to other teams.

Secondly, it's a job, and it doesn't love you back. I would like to think people in a business as heartless as ours would get this. Also, we've seen players retire halfway through seasons before, why should this be any different? Should some aging pitcher who thought he had one more season in him and later found out he didn't be forced to finish out a season just because? Mike Schmidt retired on May 28. Should he have been forced to come back and bat .217 just because "hey fuckface, you owned pitchers for years. Now it's OUR TURN!"

And if Spurrier is truly burned out and on autopilot how is that any service to anyone?

expendable and Tweener like this.
  8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Those awful nicknames are very Jason Whitlock-like. Nice work!

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have no use for the daughters of O.J. Simpson's accomplice. I've never watched a minute of their television show. That said, how decisions will be made regarding whether a former NBA Sixth Man of the Year and crossover television star will live or die seems like a news worthy subject to me, even if the person making said decisions strikes one as loathesome.

SnarkShark likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Khloe is the least loathsome of the bunch. I think she probably considers Kim to be loathsome.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Least Loathsome" is a pretty low hurdle to clear. Especially by comparison to the rest of them.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A baseball player staring at an abyss of 110 more games with his body breaking down =/= a coach on Columbus Day who can't wait until after Thanksgiving weekend to hit the cruise ship after a lifetime of telling players they Made A Commitment. As far as we know, the only thing Spurrier risked hurting was his pride.

Draft saved Draft deleted