1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Spurrier retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bronco77, Oct 12, 2015.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Cowardice isn't exclusive to men running from a fire fight or something. And the fact that it is sports is secondary in this instance. His job got difficult so he abandoned the people that looked up to him and counted on him. The fact that he is a football coach is incidental.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's what makes it more cowardly, not less so. You're a firefighter who loses nerve and can't go into a burning building, or a cop who can't stomach walking the beat in a crime-infested neighborhood? Can't continue with that career, but I can get why there is fear and survival instinct kicking in.

You're a millionaire coach who quits after realizing you're in danger of losing to Vanderbilt? Chickenshit.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because barring a truly life-threatening health situation, Spurrier could easily have reshuffled staff duties, delegated off the real grunt work to the coordinators, cut his own role down to purely ceremonial, showed up on the sidelines on Saturdays, then at the end of the season walked away and nobody would have been particularly upset.

Walking off in midseason is just an extra "fuck you" to the players and the staff ( fans too but never mind that).

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's interesting but since there hasn't been a mass Twitter bitch by South Carolina players, they're apparently fine with it.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

All we need now is "the little fat man" to roll out of retirement for one more sneer column.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm glad you prefaced your comment with "honestly." Really drove it home.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Based on what I've read, that's pretty much what Spurrier has down the last couple of seasons.

He partly took the job because it came with a membership to Augusta. Plus, he's 70. A fit and youthful 70 though.

8. Starman

What are they gonna say, "boo hoo"?

9. Starman

"To tell you the truth... "

As opposed to the lies and bullshit I would normally feed you.

"To be totally honest with you ...."
    Well, don't do anything unusual just for me, just pump me full of the normal Horse crap you feed everybody else.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    SnarkShark likes this.
  10. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Spurrier doesn't owe South Carolina anything. Not the school or the fanbase. The players should only care if a coach leaves them for another job or stuffs a form letter in their locker and bolts in the middle of the night. He did neither.

Schools dump coaches mid-season all the time, but when the tables are turned the guy is a coward? Please.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Many players go to the school because of the coach. If they didn't, then why would the coach be the one recruiting them?

12. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

So they went to SC because of Spurrier, and now he owes them to finish out the season? I just don't see it that way, particularly when the team is losing. I'll bet those kids would rather see a change of direction rather than continue down a frustrating path with a legendary coach. Plus, he's not leaving them. He said he'll still be around the program for the players.

Draft saved Draft deleted