1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Spurrier retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bronco77, Oct 12, 2015.

1. I think he quit, but I get his reasoning .. No sense hanging on til the end of the season. He's right, hanging on until the end of season walking doesn't benefit anyone.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If he ever had a starting quarterback quit on Columbus Day, he would have ripped him publicly and privately for all time. I'm sorry, I like Spurrier and think he was great for Sakerlina, but barring health issues this is a little cowardly.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just got done reading that.

this is something for the ages

SnarkShark likes this.
  4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Hiring Chip Kelly is like hiring Lane Kiffin or Steve Sarkisian. Has he proven he can coach? I'm serious. He took over at Oregon after the team was already established and had a booster who donated tens of millions to the program, which basically did his recruiting for him.

Going to a place like South Carolina or another school that is rebuilding and doesn't have pristine facilities would be a rude awakening.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Chip's making $7 + mil a year in Philly. He's got two years left. I guess he's still got leverage in Philly, for now. I don't think he re-signs with Philly w/o a bump and Philly would be stupid to without a couple more playoff wins. If he can't win the East this year, I don't know what happens. I doubt he pulls a Petrino and bails in-season. Would college programs wait until January?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but for a lot of those 103 seasons, the schedule wasn't as large and it wasn't like 60 percent of all teams make a bowl like it is nowadays.

He made them more competitive, and gave them national attention, but, as others said, quitting halfway through the year is weak. Any player who did that would be ripped on for putting themselves over the team.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is the same guy who ripped Clowney for a lack of effort a couple years ago, then goes out and bails on the players.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Cowardly act by a one-of-a-kind coach. Of course he doesn't owe Cocks fans anything. He brought them more wins than they had ever seen and the program relevant, if only for a few seasons. But to bail on the players he recruited midseason because "it would be better for everybody" is horseshit. It is better for him. He is the only person he had in mind with this decision.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Honestly, it's just sports. Reserve the coward label for something outside the toy department.

old_tony likes this.
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Spurrier always elicits the best hot takes, that's for damn sure.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Like for real. At the end of the day, These guys are gym teachers.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Must ... resist ... temptation ...

Draft saved Draft deleted