1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Spurrier retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bronco77, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

No, that was Southern Cal.

SnarkShark likes this.
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Maybe not bigger, but possibly better. Better recruiting base and less competition.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call recruiting against Florida and Florida State as well as every nitwit northeast school trying to find a couple of speed demons less competition.

Plus Miami has practically de-emphasized football with the move from the Orange Bowl and the fact that they continue to muddle around with the likes of Al Golden.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I meant less competition to win the ACC, not in recruiting.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

I personally think Miami is done. When you lose to a very pedestrian Pitt team at home coached by a very pedestrian Paul Chryst it says a lot about you. Their gameday atmosphere is awful in Sun Life and they don't have the big money boosters that SC does. They also have not and can not invest money into upgrading practice facilities and weight rooms the way other schools have. For as much as they like to boast about all of their former players in the NFL, none of them seem to be writing very many checks. Even when SC is down they still draw 55,000 for games. When Miami is down they get 18,000 and look every big the former Big East team they are.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Any college football program is as good to the same ratio they are allowed to cheat by the AD.

If Miami goes back to playing with the 1980s and 1990s mindset, they will be back.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He had been fighting rumors on the recruiting trail about his pending retirement for a few years. Between that and how this season is shaping up, I think he decided it would help SC if he left now so the next coach could be there for recruiting and signing day.

I'm going to miss his zingers.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

He did a great job at SC, but it's pretty weak sauce to go limping out in the middle of a disappointing season. He sure loved to dish it out, but apparently he didn't have the stuff to take it.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I thought the same.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  10. Anyone who watched him this year.. This isn't a surprise. He looked tired and resigned to the idea this was going to his last year. He looked to me as though he already had tee times lined up for Nov and Dec. and was ready to go.

He had a good run. A great run at UF and a good run at SC. He raised them up a notch; No small feat when competing with deep-pocketed big boy programs. As noted, SC doesn't have the pocketbook to nab Kelly or Sumlin, or steal ANYONE from USC, or Texas.

SC was a good stop for Superior on his way down from the UF perch to retirement.
    I didn't like him, but I'll miss seeing him. He was great for copy and soundbites. And he could coach.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

Press conference at noon

12. BitterYoungMatador2

This is a guy who quit the Redskins with a cell phone call from a golf course. He don't give a fuck. And he probably figured the school is better off having him step aside, let some new blood run the show and by the time its conference championship week recruits will know who the new staff will be.

Draft saved Draft deleted