1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Smith: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Aug 10, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I would have said yes until seeing those stats. Given the logjam of receivers and the great ones still yet to become eligible, I don't see how he gets in. Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson will all pass him in career yardage, which means he won't finish in the top 10 in any major category.

I love watching that dude play, but I don't think he makes it.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yes he's worthy ... He has combined longevity with awesome production.

3. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Smith won't be ahead of Urlacher, unless the voters focus hard on Urlacher's last couple of injury-plagued seasons.

Before that, he was everything a middle LB needed to be, and without 99 percent of the LT-type B.S.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Can't really compare a MLB to an OLB and LT was far more dominant than Urlacher, not even close. Those Giants teams won two titles with defense and they shut down and hurt a dominant offensive 49ers team along the way to those titles.

5. YorksArcades

I can and will compare the off-the-field stuff.

The "rings" argument is dumb.

Not sure how you read that as a comparison of Urlacher and LT on the field.

6. cjericho

Compare the off field stuff if you want, but LT is a lot more dominant than Urlacher. Not even close.

7. YorksArcades

And? Again, I don't recall comparing their on-the-field performance, nor is it relevant.

If it bothers you so much, just substitute in TO for LT. The point is, Urlacher has very little off-the-field baggage, unlike your hero, LT.

8. cjericho

Substitute TO for LT, OK sure that makes sense. Now we'll compare a WR to a LB. Yeah I guess LT is my hero because I realize he was far more dominant than Urlacher. Since you want to compare off the field stuff, Ray Lewis also has some off the field stuff that is not good, so may as well say Urlacher was as good as him also. The point is LT is much better on the field than your hero.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Does that mean Lawrence Taylor was my hero, too, because I think he was a much better player than Urlacher? It really isn't close.

And Ray Lewis was also a hell of a lot better player than Urlacher. I guess Lewis must also be my hero, even though I can't stand the guy and he played his entire career for my favorite team's biggest rival.

10. cjericho

Not sure the reason for Yorks' crush on Urlacher. Don't think I know anyone who would think Urlacher is on the same level as Taylor or Lewis or Lambert from your team.

11. YorksArcades

Find me a place, anywhere in this thread, where I said Urlacher's on-the-field performance was better than Taylor's. Or Lewis'. Not sure why you guys keep going there, except for some fanboi crush.

But since you insist on continuing: Taylor was way better at the pass rush and at many of the speed (pun intended) tasks.

Urlacher played in a different system and had a lot of different responsibilities. If Taylor had those responsibilities in that system, he would have been hitting the crack pipe on the sidelines.

The original point -- which you illiterates (can't really blame oop, as he has a habit of not being able to read/comprehend, yet feels the need to jump in and show his glaring lack of NFL knowledge) can't seem to master -- is that Steve Smith -- the original topic of this thread -- is not going to jump Urlacher for the reasons I gave, one of which is Urlacher was not one-millionth of the headcase/criminal/idiot/loser that Taylor was off the field.

12. YorksArcades

No one is comparing the on-field performance of a WR and a LB. See that phrase that says "off the field?" Those are one-syllable words.

Learn how to read.

Draft saved Draft deleted