1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Rushin - Soccer Nazi

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

A decent thought in theory, but here's the drawback -- I've been hearing some of the sports talk hosts ward it off. "Just to let you know ... I don't know soccer, I don't like soccer, don't call about soccer..."

2. trounced

trounced Active Member

But I thought Americans love soccer? I'm sure if the US won yesterday there may have been some soccer discussion on today's shows. I guess they'll have to wait another four years, if they can qualify.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

No one is doubting the "triple" concept here, Pastor. But -- and this isn't an accurate number but an attempt to get the point across -- if ratings are 1 percent and they triple, we're still not talking about a lot of numbers.

Clearly, soccer is growing in popularity as our population becomes more diverse and more dominated by Hispanics. But it's still going to have a long way to go before it'll be right up there with the big three. A long way.

Not to belabor the point, but here in Houston, there's two sports talk radio stations, and in the course of an hour, they've been lucky to average about 1 or 2 calls inquiring about the World Cup. And when they do, they'll get twice as many responses from people saying they're not interested in the World Cup.

This is Houston, an area that's heavily Hispanic. I'm not knocking people who love soccer, nor am I debating the fact that ratings are up, but the way you're portraying it, it's implied that it's the biggest thing on the air in the U.S. And it's just not. Sorry.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You both blew right past my point. Colin Cowherd doesn't WANT you to call about soccer. Chris Myers doesn't WANT to address soccer, because he doesn't know it.

5. trounced

trounced Active Member

If there was that much interest in soccer, wouldn't these stations hire talent that actually knows something about soccer?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So you're saying, which one's the beard?

Okay.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate the power of the mouse to create a ratings boost. There was no major TV contract in 2002.

ESPN/ABC has done a very good job in promoting the event this year.

Surely some of you newsies will admit to being inudated with pr from ESPN/ABC .  

I get back to my question - is the sport being pushed on us because of the money at stake or does ESPN really want us to like it?

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Why? "We'll do it our way, cause that's the way we've always done it, and we make money."

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Something has to replace America's rabid passion for Texas Hold Em.

10. trounced

trounced Active Member

I know college soccer is far from the sport's bread and butter, however, the DI men's national title game this year drew fewer than 7,000 fans. New Mexico became the first college team in history to average more than 3,200 fans per home game for a season. Saint Louis was seventh nationally in attendance this past season and drew only 1,714 fans per game, in a soccer hotbead.

The DI men's lacrosse final drew 47,000 fans.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Sports talk radio is a ridiculous gauge.

Why would a soccer fan want to call in to talk to the radio host? - the same host who ignores soccer every other day of the year.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Trounced, MFL is the Mexican Football League. This is their soccer. Check those numbers and get back to me.

I never said it was equal to the big three. But if you look at the numbers they don't lie. Check the MFL ratings for a regular season game one of the Spanish channels versus the NBA or NHL Finals.

I don't trust sports talk call in shows. They don't equal the average fan let alone what the populace is watching. Who is to say the screener isn't putting those through and dropping others?

Now, if you want to bring up the concept of sports talk in relation to soccer, there has been a growing interest and an increase of ratings for two guys that do a soccer only sports talk radio show. I never listened, but they started out small and have grown tremendously over the years. First they started doing just talk on the EPL. Now they receive a lot more calls on MLS. I'll try and look them up.

Again, this isn't the "biggest" thing. But to say that "nobody cares" is patently false. A tremendous portion do care.

I would be interested to see the ratings of the World Cup versus Sunday's NASCAR race.

Draft saved Draft deleted