1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Rushin - Soccer Nazi

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

No, I don't think Rushin understands it at all.

If he is arguing that Americans don't watch soccer, then he is arguing from a position that doesn't exist.

Why dedicate a column to Americans not caring when they clearly do?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, I deleted that. You were right.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The author of this piece finds Rebecca Lobo attractive, and is in fact engaged in the bonds of holy matrimony with her. As such, I'll take his criticism of my boorish Americanism with a grain of salt. He obviously has trouble seeing things straight.

4. trounced

trounced Active Member

Where do you live? Americans couldn't care less.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You're ignoring the TV ratings if you think that.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not to agree with Trounced, but I would love to see something even remotely resembling an accurate and scientific poll that shows something approaching accurate numbers about how many Americans actually do like soccer. It's probably more than we give credit for, but probably far, far less than a majority.

7. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Sorry Shotty. I quoted and posted before I realized it was gone.

Ratings for the World Cup have tripled over the last one. And this came out before the US game.

MLS has gone from a league that pays to be on television to actually receiving money for their broadcasts.

MLS has built stadiums in various locations to generate further revenue.

MLS has received an eight figure jersey contract with Adidas.

Jersey sales have gone up year after year for various teams around the globe. (A buddy owns a store and noted the figures.)

Check the tele ratings for the Spanish channel when an MFL regular season game is on versus ESPN when the NBA or NHL Finals are on.

Trounced, there are certain areas that don't care. There are people that don't care. But there is a large proportion of those living in the US today that do care. And they are eating this World Cup up.

9. trounced

trounced Active Member

What ratings? MLS? College soccer?

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Trounced, I answered this.

MFL, MLS and the World Cup. They are all up.

The MFL dominates most sports. It isn't even close.

The World Cup is tripling its ratings. TRIPLE.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

One sure way to gauge soccer interest -- how many feverish futbol fans called their local sports talk radio station last year to kick it around?

12. trounced

trounced Active Member

What in the world is the MFL? The Muniholdings Florida Insured Fund? Manitoba Federation of Labour? So all of the illegals like soccer. It doesn't mean Americans like soccer.

Draft saved Draft deleted