1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Rushin - Soccer Nazi

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

"Scolding" is a subjective outlook on it. It's more like a commentary on American mores.

See, that's it right there. And this isn't ripping you, alley; it's just that's how Americans look at things.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

To me, the fact that Americans don't like soccer is one of the few things that gives me confidence in Americans.

I've watched soccer.  College, World Cup, MLS.  I've tried.

It's a bad product.  There's nothing compelling about the game.  It's boring.  

It's only my opinion, but I consider myself a very discerning, sophisticated person.  I am into fine food and wine.  I rarely go see a movie that's not at the arthouse theaters.  I don't spend a lot of time watching TV.  My politics are left of left.  Hardly the type of person Rushin describes as a soccer-hating American.  

And I don't like being chastized for thinking it's a boring sport.  I have lots of interest in the world.  Just not in this.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dead on Alley.

I don't like the World cup but I do like to attend the Ballet at Lincoln Center so I feel its a breakeven in terms of my enlightenment needs.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

boom, alley, spinning ... what YOU guys aren't getting is that, for every one of "us" who "rip" people for not liking the World Cup, it's matched by somebody who rolls his/her eyes every time the topic of soccer comes up and says, "Yeah, it's about as exciting as watching paint dry."

There's every bit as much zeal to denigrate people who like soccer as there is to denigrate people who don't like it.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I love the tranquil style of baseball, the frenzy of football and the sleek skating of hockey. Maybe it's an American thing, or maybe it's a rejection of "outside" sports and an attempt to embrace what we've invented. But dammit, none of those reasons are bad, nor does it mean soccer is bad.

People who petulantly post things like "You think soccer stupid. In reality, you're stupid," or "1 billion people can't be wrong," ignore it's a taste issue. If 1 billion people enjoy eating sheep stomachs, hey, more power to you. Just don't expect me to join them at the buffet.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Next week, Rushin substitutes "WNBA" for "World Cup" and scolds us some more.

To each his own. I'll watch some. But not much. (and yes, I played youth, HS and even a little college soccer, have coached in AYSO, and my child plays, so I understand at least a few of the so-called nuances that make the game sooooo compelling).

And offside still sucks.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

See? ;D

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

From all the posts, I guess I don't.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mmmmm..... haggis!

I must confess, I was the first one in my fifth-grade class to have the Mattel hand-held soccer game. But it was too easy to beat and I got bored with it. Should've kept it — I bet the fucker's worth $300 on eBay now.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

A few points on this topic...

1. Rushin clearly wrote this before the weekend ratings came out. ESPN has reported that this World Cup has received triple the viewership of the last World Cup. This is partly due to the time of the games, but also the increase in interest.

2. Rushin cannot argue that "Americans" don't like soccer. This is patently false. This has been proven over and over again. Americans LOVE soccer. The difference is that Americans don't love MLS.

There are very few people that follow the sport these days. Walk into any major city and you will be able to locate a bar who has a primary cliental of soccer fans.

Yes, there are "ugly" Americans who look to bash soccer at every turn. But to argue it these days just demonstrates ignorance.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I love the sport of soccer as much as anyone here. But god, I wish the rest of the fans would quit judging non-soccer fans. I hate when "we" do it. Just stop it. Stop the snide remarks. Stop the comments about how the rest of the world can't be wrong. Stop saying how anyone who doesn't like it must have an attention span problem. Stop saying how if you just give it a chance, you'll like it.

It will never be big here - who cares? I like it that it's NOT big. It means I can watch a game uninterrupted for 45 minutes a half. It means that the announcers don't put in spots for "Two and A Half Men" or "CSI Miami" during the game, like the NFL and NBA.

There is no rule saying you have to like it. There is plenty to dislike: We are into the fifth day of WC and there has been one lead change. Total. One. Ive seen floppers. I've seen 0-0. There's plenty not to like. Anybody who dislikes it has every right to.

I love it. I don't care what anybody else thinks. It sounds so "needy" to try to persuade non-fans.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Gotta agree with poin there. It DOES smack of the geeky kid wanting to be understood.

Draft saved Draft deleted