1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Rushin - Soccer Nazi

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Steve Rushin - Soccer Natzi

How do I separate out the purest who truly want us to like soccer because it is a great sports from the marketers who see the U.S. as a great untapped market for soccer?   Who's driving the bus - purest or pr types?

2. Boom_70

Just the same why should steve rushin rip people for not liking it?

3. Boom_70

Maybe it's just me but I just don't get the need to celebrate milestone posts on a message board. Its seems like it would put me lower on the food chain than those holding the vigil in Steel town.

It just seems so sefl serving.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Usually, it's pretty easy to tell the PR types.
    They're the ones with titles like, "director of public relations."

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's only seen as a cliche by you guys because you don't like hearing this particular truth. And frankly, maybe the ugly Americans SHOULD indulge in a little introspection if they don't have the attention span necessary to enjoy a sport with fewer than 20 scoring opportunities per game.

Hell, we began to diss the NBA when they started playing occasional defense and the scores dropped below the 90s.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Lots of Americans don't even like baseball. Or football. Would you write a column chastizing them for their ignorance?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

All of a sudden, five Boom posts disappear, just like the sea right before the tsunami rolls ashore.

One sefl service, coming up!

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Lots of Americans don't even like baseball, 21, for the same reason -- there are periods of "dead air." We want constant sensory overload. Yeah, I'd write that column.

I'm not so sure lots of Americans don't like football.

9. Boom_70

This could be the basis for a movie :

Cut to the scene - Daddy shotglass driving the country squire wagon down the highway on way to state college for spring game . his 3 boys - fenian , FHB and boom in the rear seat making fun of Steve Rushin column.  Daddy shot hears enough and decides to give the boys a reality check.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

"Don't MAKE me stop this car!"

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Well, there's a big difference between 'Americans' and American sports fans. I'll assume you're referring to the latter, because I guarantee you more than half the American population doesn't give a damn about football.

But back to the topic....I don't understand scolding angle here.  This is entertainment, not a requirement.  It's like saying you have to watch Saturday Night Live or The Sopranos, because everyone else does.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It could be, though, that some of us have made the attempt to watch it but just don't like it. Hell, I played soccer for one year in high school and I've got the World Cup a shot on more than just one occasion. Soccer just doesn't interest me. It just doesn't. I don't get jazzed up by it, I don't find the action thrilling and the pace doesn't suit my style.

It doesn't mean I'm unenlightened. It doesn't mean I'm ripping soccer. It doesn't mean 1 billion people across the world are wrong, or that they're right and I'm wrong. It means, simply, that I gave soccer a fair chance, more than a fair chance, and I'm not a fan. There are people out there, who after being exposed to the insanity, excitement and thrill of the Stanley Cup playoffs, still don't like hockey, and that's fine. It doesn't mean they're wrong.

Jesus, can we just lay off people who aren't thrilled about the World Cup?

Draft saved Draft deleted