1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Rushin - Soccer Nazi

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 13, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Umm, not entirely true, but nice try.
    The games are at a time that's win-win -- afternoon and night in Germany is morning and afternoon in the states with a relatively friendly time difference.
    Korea and Japan, with a 15hour time difference (DST) with the Eastern US didnt offer the same luxury.
    People can watch these games in normal hours. In 2002, the schedule wasn't as friendly.

2. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

How's that not entirely true? You came out and even said how it was....

How's it a win-win if the games start at 9 am ET and end at 5 pm ET? Don't most of the people in the country work during those hours?

The simple fact is that it's advantageous for ESPN to show the games live - what else would they run on ESPN2 during the time from 9 am to 5 pm? Repeats for the 8 billionth time of the World's Strongest Man from 2002? ANY ratings they receive from showing the World Cup are gravy for them given there's usually nothing on during that time.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ABC/ESPN did not hold the broadcast rights in 2002.   For the rights through 2014 FIFA pretty much gave it away to ABC/ESPN / UNIvision. Its a good deal for Disney - big upside potential with growing hispanic population -- now nations largest minority.  

For the next 8 years be assured that Disney will be subliminally jamming soccer down our throats through their various media outlets.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

ESPN showed the games. And, at times I listened to the updates on ESPN radio on my way to work in the morning. Either they showed them or the didn't. Which are you claiming? If you claim that they didn't show them, then you would be wrong.

And if ESPN is going to "shove soccer down our throats" why haven't they done so already? They've had the MLS rights for years. They have the "Game of the Week" on Saturday afternoon. Yet, by Sunday morning the scores aren't even on the ticker.

5. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Hey Boom? Yeah, I'm a soccer dork.... I have about a dozen games for the 2002 Cup on tape... they ALL have the ESPN logo in the corner box. That WAS ESPN's Jack Edwards making a mockery of the broadcast.... And now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure ESPN DID have the broadcast rights to the tournament in 1998, when it was in France, one country over from where it is now (helping you out a little since I doubt you can read a map).

Asshole.... there's another thread already started for morons like you.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Yes, but one of the reasons that ratings are up is that it is much easier for the casual fan to click over to a game. I'm the definition of the extremely casual, "Oh, gee whiz" soccer fan who watches a few games every four years. I didn't watch a minute of the 02 Cup live -- there was no way I was getting up at 3 a.m. to watch a game. Now, I'm much more likely to stop in a bar/restaurant over lunch and watch for a while or watch on a Saturday afternoon. The time difference has helped the ratings immensely.

7. Boom_70

There is big difference between owning broadcast rights and showing games. In 2002 ESPN did not own the rights and cut a deal at last minute to show games in middle of night if rights holder paid for production fees. The original rights holder had gone bankrupt.

8. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Show me a link, Boomy-boy. Pulling shit out of your ass, like always....

9. Boom_70

a link to what ?

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Pope... You are correct and no one has stated differently. The games are on at a better time. This is one of the factors that have helped increase the ratings. (I made this same statement pages ago.) However, those ratings at 3am were very good.

Boom... Your point? ESPN showed the games. They had to buy the rights from somewhere. Either they were valuable enough to purchase or they weren't. Clearly, they are valuable enough.

11. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

A link to something, anything, verifying your claim.....

12. Boom_70

Crass - in 2002 the rights holder paid ESPN to broadcast the games. FIFA / MLS wants a piece of US market so badly they pretty much have sold their sole to ESPN for next 8 years.

You watch by 2010 they will realize its a bad deal and try and wriggle out of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted