1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Nash retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 22, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And that would be such an annoying debate. But, without reading ahead, I'm assuming the rest of this thread is dedicated to just that.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It won't be.

Nash was one of the most efficient, smart players I've ever seen. It's the cliché of making everyone around him better, but that's exactly what he did.

3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

This guy was pretty good too. As a grade-schooler in East Lansing in the late 1970s, I always pretended to be him when everyone else was pretending to be Earvin Johnson, Greg Kelser or Jay Vincent.

upload_2015-3-24_10-23-2.png

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I loved that Syracuse team -- Rautins, Erich Santifer, Tony Bruin and one of my all-time favorite players, Gene Waldron.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Don't forget Bill Wennington.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

When I was in high school I had a poster from an exhibition game featuring the Canadian Mens Basketball team, Wennington, Greg Wiltjer, Eli Pasquale and Jay Triano were all on it. This was all before Leo Rautins.

The team finished 4th at the Olympics in 84, really thought they had a chance for a medal given that USSR led boycott.

Basketball hi-light for me and the National team is the victory at the World University Games in Edmonton in 83. Canadians beat a team that had Charles Barkley. Pretty sad that my hi-light involves a medal from an event that is 30 years old and no longer exists!

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Me thinks you better check your facts. Even a non-Canuck like me knows that Bill Wennington most certainly was not "before Leo Rautins."

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Wow, had thought that Rautins came later in the decade.

Draft saved Draft deleted