1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Nash retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 22, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You are totally correct there. I blame the required Internet style of best-ever-ism for any exaggeration.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The last two number one picks are Canadian and there are Canadians all over Div. 1 basketball. Prior to Nash this never happened. The popularity of the game is significantly higher alll across the country.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

League wide there is no comparison but I'm not sure that's what's being said here.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Those who follow basketball recruiting might have an answer for you. The change in basketball talent level coming from Canada today compared to a couple decades ago is nothing short of staggering. The country went from a talent wasteland to a relative hotbed, now churning out a constant stream of high D1 and NBA caliber players. In the 90s a Canadian player was a rare novelty, now they're everywhere.

I'm guessin that Nash making the game more popular up there just might've had something to do with that transformation.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  5. Ric Flair

Ric Flair Member

This not a shot at Nash at all, but I believe Vince Carter had a bigger impact on Canadian Basketball than Steve Nash.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Now that makes for an interesting debate.

sgreenwell and bigpern23 like this.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You forgot Cousy.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Vince certainly inspired a lot of kids in the Toronto area, but if you're talking Canada-wide I'd argue Nash means more.

Certainly they both can take some credit.

9. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Maybe some think Canadian hoops still is Leo Rautins and everyone else.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

As you would say - woooooooo! But yeah, as Gomer said, it's probably both of them that contributed to the upswing in basketball's popularity in Canada. Well, them, and I'd add in how much easier it is to catch NBA games in the past 20 years. In Simmons' 5,000 page basketball book, he talked about how tough it was even now to find footage from certain 1970s and even 1980s era games. The NBA on TNT started in 1988, the playoff broadcasting got a lot better in the 1990s, and by the 2000s you had regular season games shown on ABC. I'm positive that all probably had a "trickle up the border" effect. (Along similar lines, I can't remember if it was Bill James or one of the Baseball Prospectus' annuals that noted that the Braves and Cubs got a big revenue boost in the 1990s because they had nationwide / large regional cable networks broadcasting their game.)

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

IMO it really has more to do with the rise of AAU club competition and the decline of US high school basketball as the primary venue for college scouting.

When HS game play was the biggest factor in college scouting, the lack of competition in Canada was a huge disadvantage -- probably by a power of 10 or more.

Now of course nobody gets recruited on the basis of HS team play, everybody is recruited off their performance in AAU club play and all-star camps, and 90 percent of all Canadians live within 100 miles of the border, so most of the recruitable hoops players will play on US-based AAU teams anyway.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Both were great, great players. I feel bad for Nash that he was so incredible and couldn't win a title. But if we're talking about who did more in Canada for the game they played, I would argue that hockey really didn't need much done for it. It was already the nation's biggest game by far. Although Gretzky was a transcendent player, I think the game would still be as big as ever in Canada even if there'd never been a Gretzky.

Iron_chet and Songbird like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted