1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Nash retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2-time NBA Player of the Year deserves his own thread.

A single hip-check changed the course of history and fortunes of many.

Would love to have seen him win a few rings.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Before anyone starts a Hall of Famer? thread, yes.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

It was so bizarre to see some Canadian media calling him the country's greatest athlete yesterday. And then going the extra mile to say, yes, that includes Gretzky.

Steve Nash isn't even the best athlete in his sport. Sure, he's inspired a ton of kids to play and you can argue he's done more for the sport here than Gretzky did for hockey in the U.S. But he's not even in the top 20 best basketball players of all-time.

Hall of Fame? Definitely. Though I'm ridiculously biased.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I wish things could have worked out better in his Lakers' stint, but much respect for a great career and, yes, eventual enshrinement into the Hall.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Canadian media has a very short memory. Don't they remember that Iron Mike Sharpe was Canada's greatest athlete?

JC likes this.
  6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

No, no, no. Surely it was Rusty Staub!

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I was trying to post an image of the Rougeau Brothers. Trust me, it would've been hilarious.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Don't be a j-brone

Canada's greatest athlete.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Steve Nash didn't come close to doing more for the NBA than Gretzky did for the NHL. Did Nash fuel a league's expansion?

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm glad some dipshits who decided to compare Nash to The Great One have overshadowed the end of Nash's great career.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I read this earlier and it puts a bit more nuance on it: Nash, like Gretzky, transcended Canadian sport - Sportsnet.ca

In pure terms? Of course Gretzky was a greater player in relation to hockey than Nash was to basketball. I don't think anyone would suggest otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted