1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Lavin press conference interrupted by cell phone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

http://www.redstormsports.com/blog/2011/11/stj-basketball-coach-lavins-pregame-presser-gets-interrupted.html

Pretty funny video. While it's a big no-no to let your cell phone ring, especially if it's on the freaking table where Lavin is talking, it was good to see Lavin handle it well.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Lavin gets high marks in my book.

3. mjslovin91

mjslovin91 Guest

Most coaches would not handle that nearly as well. Props to Lavin for not freaking out, but come on. Turn off your phone.

4. I didn't hear the phone ringing...maybe it was vibrating? lighting up?

I use my phone as my audio recorder, but I always turn it off. Still, it will light up if a call comes.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the phone was being used as an audio recorder. That's why it was sitting in front of Lavin. Reporter just forgot to switch it to airplane mode.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Mike Sherman thinks Lavin handled that all wrong.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Zook had told the phone what would happen if it rang. Couldn't help itself, could it?

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Lavin's beating cancer. He's got bigger worries than a stupid-ass cellphone left on by a knucklehead.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Good thing Davey wasn't a UCLA fan; as soon as he found out it was Lavin, he probably would have cursed a blue streak.

10. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Had this happen in a post-game presser the other day.
    Coach: It says Amy is calling.
    College reporter: Sorry coach. I forgot to turn it off.
    Coach: Well, is she pretty?
    College reporter: No. It's my step-mom.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Easy mistake in that case (using it as a recorder...but don't let it happen again), and yes, that's Lavin. Now go beat these cancer, okay man?

12. awriter

awriter Active Member

That was awesome. I only wish Lavin had put the guy on speakerphone so we could have heard his reaction.

Draft saved Draft deleted