1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Kerr: 'I lied'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 12, 2015.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If you ain't lying you ain't trying.

The military calls this operational security.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I doubt an organization other than the Patriots would consider lying to the media a sound business practice.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Dickie see your point, but what can you do. Kerr should have just said Bogut looked lethargic in shootaround
    or something like that. Then at game time he decided to go with a different lineup.
    In the NHL it's either an upper body or lower body injury. Aren't those coaches
    lying? They don't have a medical staff that can assess the injuries?

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's not wrong to lie to the media in this situation for all the reasons above. It's also naive to think you would get a fully honest answer from the question that illicited the lie. Is there an obligation to provide an answer to a journalists question where a turthfull answer or even a 'no comment' is detrimental to your self interest?

5. novelist_wannabe

Perhaps a bit of a tangent, but I've often wondered about the MLB practice of announcing starting pitchers days in advance.

6. novelist_wannabe

My impression is that the vast majority of them do it with regularity.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I assume it has to do 100 percent with ticket sales/generating fan interest?

8. novelist_wannabe

I don't know about 100 percent, but I'm sure that's a large part of it. Wonder when they started doing it.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Think the betting lines may have something to do with it?

Draft saved Draft deleted