1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Kerr: 'I lied'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 12, 2015.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I know. I'm weak.

LongTimeListener and YankeeFan like this.
  2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Is there an expectation of full disclosure in these situations or is this part of accepted gamesmanship, comparable to things that are said as part of negotiations?

For example, the rules for attorneys in most states require the lawyer "to be truthful when dealing with others on a client’s behalf ... " or that a lawyer not knowingly "make a false statement of material fact."

Many states rules, however, recognize that negotiations often include what is genteelly termed "accepted puffery," so their rules also provide an exception for negotiations, including language such as:

"Whether a particular statement should be regarded as one of fact can depend on the circumstances. Under generally accepted conventions in negotiation, certain types of statements ordinarily are not taken as statements of material fact. Estimates of price or value placed on the subject of a transaction and a party’s intentions as to an acceptable settlement of a claim are ordinarily in this category..."

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You're taking this way too seriously, Amy. This is just one of Dick's trolling threads and should be treated as such.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think "accepted puffery" applies for this thread.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wrong is wrong, except when the person committing the wrong used to entertain us with his sweet stroke.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The inspiration for my Brian Kelly posts, since he flipped the fuck out when Kelly left Cincinnati for Notre Dame.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"They don't give you the trophy based on morality. They give it to you if you win."

I can see Mr. Hand writing that on the blackboard and dissecting it.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Simply by throwing out the possibility of a change forces the other team to consider that possibility. He could have said "No comment," hoping the Cavs would waste time game planning for a change he was never considering making. How would Cleveland guess his true intent?

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

who ever asked the question of Kerr fucked up. the question should have ben prefaced with the qualification do you swear or affirm under the penalties of perjury that the statement made is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

Is there a law that requires answers to sports journalists questions be answered truthfully? Dick caught Kerr in a lie, we know it now and we will go on accordingly. Benghazi is still an open issue

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Steve Kerr. Hall of Famer?

cranberry and JackReacher like this.
  12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The only people who should be pissed are the ones who bet on basketball, which is a sucker bet anyway.

Shit, the main reason why injury reports are required in the NFL are for betting lines.

Draft saved Draft deleted