1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Jobs' health

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jul 26, 2008.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what to think of Nocera's description of his off the record conversation with Steve Jobs. I'd love to hear what Jobs thinks about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/26/business/26nocera.html?pagewanted=all

TALKING BUSINESS
    Apple’s Culture of Secrecy

By JOE NOCERA
    Published: July 26, 2008

On Thursday afternoon, several hours after I’d gotten my final “Steve’s health is a private matter” — and much to my amazement — Mr. Jobs called me. “This is Steve Jobs,” he began. “You think I’m an arrogant [expletive] who thinks he’s above the law, and I think you’re a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong.” After that rather arresting opening, he went on to say that he would give me some details about his recent health problems, but only if I would agree to keep them off the record. I tried to argue him out of it, but he said he wouldn’t talk if I insisted on an on-the-record conversation. So I agreed.

Because the conversation was off the record, I cannot disclose what Mr. Jobs told me. Suffice it to say that I didn’t hear anything that contradicted the reporting that John Markoff and I did this week. While his health problems amounted to a good deal more than “a common bug,” they weren’t life-threatening and he doesn’t have a recurrence of cancer. After he hung up the phone, it occurred to me that I had just been handed, by Mr. Jobs himself, the very information he was refusing to share with the shareholders who have entrusted him with their money.

You would think he’d want them to know before me. But apparently not.

2. Apate

Apate New Member

Re: Steve Job's health

If you're going to burn that bridge, best to go out in style.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

January 6, 2009
    Apple’s Jobs Explains His Weight Loss

By BRAD STONE
    SAN FRANCISCO — Steven P. Jobs, the chief executive of Apple, sought to put to rest persistent speculation about his health on Monday, disclosing in a public letter that a hormone problem — and not a recurrence of cancer — had contributed to his very visible weight loss over the last year.

Mr. Jobs lamented that his decision not to give his usual keynote address at the annual Macworld Expo this week in San Francisco “set off another flurry of rumors about my health, with some even publishing stories of me on my deathbed.”

But Mr. Jobs, 53, said that doctors had recently diagnosed a “hormone imbalance” that was depleting proteins in his body as the cause of his weight loss. The remedy, he said, “is relatively simple and straightforward, and I’ve already begun treatment.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/technology/companies/06apple.html

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Leave of absence thru June. Says health issues worse than he initially thought:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/14/technology/apple_jobs/index.htm

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

JOBS' HEALTH

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

My job's health is pretty shaky.

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Why is Steve Jobs' health a thread subject on SportsJournalists.co?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why not?

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Who is Steve Job?

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

This is cancer and there isn't a single doubt about it.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Of course, a week or so ago it was a hormone imbalance. ::)

But I agree -- it's cancer. Probably related to the pancreatic cancer he was diagnosed with in '03. Apparently his own body is immune to the legendary Steve Jobs "reality distortion field."

[​IMG]

Here's the Gizmodo report from Dec. 30 calling Jobs' health into question; it was studied, decried, refuted and now back on the table.

Apple stock is going to get hit hard over the next 18 hours. (1stADD: AAPL is down over $6, or 7 percent of its at-close value, in after-hours trading.) Apple has always been at its best with Jobs in charge.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn, that sucks. Fuck cancer.

Draft saved Draft deleted