1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Czaban radio show cancelled By FSR... SAS replaces... Czabe to SNR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Re: Steve Czaban radio show cancelled on Fox Sports Radio. SAS to replace.

The Fox "network" is just a reheated version of their L.A. station, and has been since the January Clear Channel national cost cutting moves. Don Martin, the L.A. station's PD, is making these moves and will continue to alter the lineup to whatever he thinks will work best for L.A.

JT the Brick's contract has a few months to go, but he will be dumped as soon as the deal expires just like Czabe. The length of that deal is the only thing that kept him around during the original purge, and Martin moved his show to late night because he can't stand it. Stephen A. as a morning host might get Fox on somewhere on the East Coast, and who cares about 3 AM in L.A.? Hence, this week's move to dump a solid sports morning show (which is incredibly hard to do) in favor of the clown show.

2. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

OK, I just listened to his show for about 10 minutes in the car, and all I heard is a bunch of dorks making each other laugh. Nothing I heard during those 10 minutes was funny or insightful. I don't ever feel like I'm listening to the "know-it-all sports guy down the street" when I flip from Mike and Mike to Czaban. I feel the way I do sometimes when Rome is on: What the fuck is this guy babbling about? Is there a point to any of this? Sometimes I'll even choose commercials over flipping to his show.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yeah, Czaban and his producer co-hosts really have that "attitude."
    Most talk radio guys do, though.
    They all pretty much think the games can't be played without their commentary.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bruce, Czaban wasn't there today. It was a guest host.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What ever happened to Todd Wright?

If you're shocked J.T. the Tool is still on the radio, two words: Scotty Ferrall.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Two more: Petros Papadakis

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

So who gets the overnight gig if the Brick is canned? Do I sense the beginning of a "Bring Back Ben Maller" movement?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When I heard the guest host this morning I wondered if that was a "fuck you" to management from Czabe.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I believe he does the late night show on Sporting News Radio.

Decent listen, but he -- and seemingly everyone else on SNR -- is way too NFL-heavy for my tastes.

10. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

I know. And yet the show sounded the same to me as it always does -- a bunch of guys babbling about nothing funny or insightful. I just find his show more irritating than anything else. Granted, I only catch five or 10 minutes at a time, if that, but I have to change it after that long.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Trey, when he was on ESPN Radio, back when Rob Dibble was a colleague, he had a special talent for talking about everything but sports.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Petros and Money are indeed money in my book. I can listen to them and Czabe all day long.

FWIW, Drew Siciliano's on ESPN radio 710 in LA during mid days now, opposite Michael Thompson. They of course talk Lakers far more than they should, which doesn't do much for me nor, does it seem, for Siciliano, because the tandem hasn't really clicked.

Draft saved Draft deleted