1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steve Cavendish begs Gannett to sell Tennessean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GidalKaiser, Aug 14, 2013.

1. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

http://www.nashvillescene.com/pitw/archives/2013/08/13/desperately-seeking-the-newspaper

A good argument overall, but it's obviously from the heart and obviously useless. When was the last time Gannett sold off a property?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So by property, that doesn't include Gannett's soul? :D

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm not sure it was the last time, but in 2005, Gannett "traded" three papers, including the one I worked at, to Knight-Ridder for one larger publication and cash. It was an, um, interesting newsroom meeting that afternoon.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I remember them selling their two suburban papers in Pittsburgh to the Tribune-Review, but that was 1997.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have made a public offer of $25,000 for The Tennessean, but only if Gannett throws in my hometown Daily New Journal. I think it's quite fair.

6. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Shouldn't he be begging someone to buy it? Gannett would surely sell it if the right price were offered.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

All of Nashville's big money types just got tapped out for a while by saving the bankrupt symphony and its world-class boondoggle of a performance hall; so I'm thinking outside of Al Gore (which I suppose always could be an option) or maybe ex-mayor and ex-governor Bredesen (who recently added to his high-hundreds of millions net worth) someone local buying the paper ain't gonna happen.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah it does sound a little like begging the Yankees to trade A-Rod.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

And I'd like to know what he's willing to chip in from his own account.

That's one of my pet peeves, when people bitch and moan about how the owners of such-and-such a company, whether it's a newspaper, a sports franchise, a restaurant, etc., should do the right thing and sell to someone who cares about it. But it's always "sell to someone (else)". If you care that much, put some of your own skin in the game.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You know, I think I might kill myself if Al-Jazeer-Gore bought The Tennessean.

Draft saved Draft deleted